Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Waves Renn Bass

Post by sansharbour » Wed May 20, 2015 3:45 am

Just wondering if anyone uses the Waves Renn Bass

If so do you like it ?
I already have Maxx Bass and I hear they are similar and slightly different at the same time

Thanks
Don

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Waves Renn Bass

Post by andygabrys » Mon May 25, 2015 8:04 am

Yeah I have Rbass.

Sometimes it's very useful. I used to use it all the time on kick and bass. But I generally just use parallel distortion on those sounds now instead of Rbass. In some ways that is kinda the same thing.

If they have a fire sale on now and it's like $29 go for it. But i wouldn't bother paying more than $75.

Can't comment vs Maxxbass as I don't have that one.
Last edited by andygabrys on Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

shorttonpro
Impressive
Impressive

Post by shorttonpro » Tue May 26, 2015 6:14 am

I tend to use the two for opposite reasons.

Maxx Bass when something's fundamental is too low and I'm wanting to generate some upper harmonics to get it to cut through better.

Rbass I more often use when something is lacking body/boldness in the lows and I need a deeper tone.

Both do things normal EQ doesn't excel at, and I think are complimentary to each other.

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Tue May 26, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks Andy and Scott

I keep on looking at it will I won't I.
I will wait for the right sale

Appreciate your comments

Don

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 am

from the Waves Rbass manual:

"What is the secret?
Of course we can’t tell you everything we’re doing, but in general, the process is very simple.
The brain can reconstruct a “missing fundamental”from just the harmonics the ear is hearing. For example, if you have a radio with a small speaker, the bass guitar in a rock song, or the double bass in a concerto, can not be reproduced by that very small speaker, that is, the fundamental pitch is too low for that speaker to produce.
However, the harmonics are coming out of the speaker (they are higher than the fundamental of course, check your physics of sound book gathering dust on your shelf for a lot more information). Your ear can hear these harmonics, and the “hearing mechanism”, more like “hearing software” of the brain recognises that these harmonics are related to each other (i.e., correlated), and reconstructs the missing fundamental.
Therefore, you hear the low bass note, even though it is not coming out of that speaker. This phenomenon has been well known for centuries (pipe organ builders use exactly this technique to emulate very long pipes that might have been too expensive for the owner).
Waves created the MaxxBass algorithm to do exactly this,taking the very low bass (user controllable) and creating harmonics that can be added into the signal (variable by user). Waves has patented this technology, refined it, and has put it into the Renaissance Bass processor."

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 pm

"What is the secret?
Of course we can’t tell you everything we’re doing...Waves has patented this technology
:? :? :lol:
Isn't that like saying, "I can't let you listen to my song because it's copyrighted??" How do you patent a technology?

"...In more modern applications, consider the kick drum in a mix. If you want it to be heard, you have to boost the medium‑high frequencies that are present in the attack. The same goes for the electric bass: if you want it to be completely drowned inside a mix, remove the medium‑high frequencies! It's as simple as that. To make bass instruments clear and audible, you need to make sure the mid-range frequencies are in place. Low frequencies themselves are clearly useful — they can convey roundness, body, strength, and so on — but any part of the musical language linked to understanding, anything that requires sensitivity, needs to be inside or near the 0.5‑4kHz range... The 0.5‑4kHz range should contain the most important part of the message. To carry the essence of your music, forget about those bass frequencies, your priority is elsewhere."

*excerpt from SOS article
https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar11/ ... -works.htm

If I were to speculate, it sounds like the "patented" technology might be boosting the mids and removing the fundamental and lower harmonics?? And as the article says, "to make bass instruments clear and audible"...
and certainly anything that makes a "bass plugin" sound more clear and audible, it would have achieved it's purpose. Cool
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music