Do songs ever get forwarded to clients with "notes"?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Do songs ever get forwarded to clients with "notes"?

Post by sabalsounds » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:52 am

Still waiting on the results of my first submissions but just wondered if some of you with forwards can answer this:

Say the screener loves a track but thinks the mix could use minor adjustments (i.e. make it louder, eq the kick drum a little more etc) generally speaking would the screener: A) return it with notes (not forwarded) or B) forward the track to the client with a note "I think you'll love this but the mix imo needs to be tweaked a bit". Does option B) occasionally happen or never happen?

I always do the best I can with my mixes and would certainly re-mix a track as many times as necessary to satisfy a client.

I ask because sometimes I get finished with a track and (because I'm too close to it) it doesn't occur to me that a shaker is too loud or the kick drum needs more presence etc.

Thanks,

Steven
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Do songs ever get forwarded to clients with "notes"?

Post by Casey H » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:38 am

No, songs would not get forwarded with notes about things that need improvement. You never pitch a track emphasizing negatives!! You shouldn't do that on your own and they shouldn't (and wouldn't). Picture a salesperson saying, "This is a really great car but the rear seat is cramped and the trunk space is small"...

If those things were problematic enough, the track would be returned and not forwarded.

Although I don't know for sure, it's possible that for some listings, Taxi might include POSITIVE notes about why the track may be a good fit-- maybe an ad agency listing, for example. But that's a guess on my part, only Michael can address that.

So, it comes down to it either passes the bar for the listing or it doesn't. BTW, sometimes those minor mix details (a level here and there) that we focus so much on aren't even an issue unless it is an extreme.

:D Casey

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Do songs ever get forwarded to clients with "notes"?

Post by sabalsounds » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:56 am

Great point about the sales aspect Casey! I listen through a lot of different sources before I call a mix done but knowing that some of the screeners are also composers/producers etc just wondered if they might be bothered more or less by minor tweaks (?)

Thanks for responding!

Steven
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud