Studio Lighting Question

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Studio Lighting Question

Post by russellnollen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 am

Thanks again, guys! I'm getting within two weeks of bringing my studio home! I'll be bringing in an electrician within this week - thanks for the advanced advice! I believe what I'll have is two outlets (already there) on the mains, four more outlets on a seperate/clean circuit. I don't suppose I'll color code them, but perhaps with the outlet covers or stickers.
Do you use power strips or surge protectors?
Any suggestions on room treatment regarding acoustics & colors? I do have a wall that is covered with old(ish) dark wood paneling. I'm supposing that it'll stay. The opposing wall has two large windows, also large, thick curtains. The carpet is thick and soft. When walking around the room clapping my hands loudly, it's rather quiet until I stand by the door, then I hear an echo from the neighboring room's wall. I suppose a change of dooring is certainly in order. I'll take any suggestions. The rest of the room is covered with soon to be removed old wallpaper. Any color suggestions, or is this just a personal choice? Any general concensus'?
Thanks again!

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:40 am

Hi, Power strips with surge protection are reasonably inexpensive and should provide some peace of mind and maybe satisfy an insurance company. Your circuits will have residual current devices built in too.
One feature that laptops have over desktops is a battery. If you are in an area that experiences frequent power outages and can afford it a battery power supply is worth considering. Not so much to save your last precious take but to facilitate an orderly shutdown for the health of your operating system.
For room treatment drapes are great for flutter echo and have the advantage of being flexible e.g. fully or partially open to taste. If you use drapes lay them on thick so that they have plenty of folds.
If possible set up the studio before you put in room treatment such as bass traps. That way you will be able to asses the effectiveness of your efforts. Bass traps probably should be top priority.
There is plenty of info on the web on how to hang bass traps with picture hooks.
These are most effective across corners and its usually a case of more is more.
Owens corning 706 is more effective than 704 if you make your own. It's worth the effort.
If you do use fibreglass wrap it in some filter media. I used geo fabric then covered them with a pleasing to look at fabric.
Test the effectiveness of your wrapping by taking a piece of fibreglass outside, hold it towards the sun and bash it. You will see clouds of glass fibres released.
Wrap it in your fabrics and see if you can eliminate the fibres escaping.
To test your room treatment efforts download a continuous sine wave sweep from 20Hz to 20kHz and evaluate from your listening position. Take note of where it gets loud and soft especially under 250Hz. It will never be perfect but at least you will have an idea of where the culprits are.

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:45 am

Okay its owens corning 703 and 705. :oops: My mistake, we don't get that product in Australia. An equivalent from Bradford insulation was used.

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:16 am

Thanks! Here are some current photos of the studio on this link if you'd like to take a look; https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nollen-M ... 7684555076
As always, I'm thankful for the past advice and open to new advice, suggestions & comments.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:24 pm

Some of my clients refer to my rather gloomy room as the "Den Of Iniquity" sometimes I'll run mic cables out to the living room and once, it got credited on a CD as "Recorded and mixed at Den Of Iniquity, additional recording at Living Room Of Depravity". My clients are hilarious. :lol:

I do have lots of colored mood lighting available and fancy Home Depot rope lights twined about the drum kit for additional ambiance, as required. And of course, a lava lamp. There's a ceiling fan directly above and behind the mix position, but there's no lights or dimmer involved, there. I've never experienced any induced hum from modern LEDs, so that'll be my next lighting upgrade. At least until I install a skylight. Did I mention the room doesn't get enough natural light?
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:04 am

The electrician comes tomorrow! This should be fun. I should be left with at least four new outlets on a seperate circuit. Then we get to peel off wallpaper, remove an old closet, paint the ceiling & walls... etc... and yes, at some point I'll restring my guitars, sound treat the room, compose some music, etc. etc...

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:01 pm

That's all? 8-)

:lol: :lol:
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Heh heh... I suppose there'll always be more. Hey, I'm always up for suggestions!

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 pm

I just wanted to post again to say that the studio renovations are nearly complete! I must say that I've already learned a lot about sound treating just by renovating this sonic disaster of a cave. Taking out the couch, drapes, all window treatments and exposing bare sheetrock while listening to music (or course) while I work has taught me how this room reflects, where it does so, where the sounds swirl, where they change, rumble and where they get mushy. Of course, climbing around a ladder and crawling around the floor has exposed my ears to about every square inch of the room. Who knew the sonic powers of simple drapes and a good couch?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:56 pm

Google sabins. :)
edit; Hey that sounds like a good band name. :D