First Library Deal Help!

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

cademan7
Active
Active

First Library Deal Help!

Post by cademan7 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Hey, I just got an offer from a music library for two pieces of mine. I have a couple of questions though about whether or not this is a good deal or not. I don't know what the industry standard is, but they are offering 25% of all the sync fees and then I get the writer's share of royalties and they get the publishers share. It's also an exclusive deal, so they want to claim part of the copyright to my songs. I'm a little worried about that, because I don't know if that's how it works or not. But I don't want to give my copyrights away if I don't know that it will make any money. Should I charge an upfront fee?

I would love anybody's thoughts and opinions, because this is all new to me. haha

Thanks,
Cade
Last edited by cademan7 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: First Library Deal Help!

Post by TerrellBurt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Hey bro. Edit your post and take out the name of the library. TAXI doesn't allow us to list actual library names.

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by larrymagee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 pm

I got the same offer today. I'm going to send them a copy of the Taxi listing that said 50/50 and see if that will help.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:09 pm

larrymagee wrote:I got the same offer today. I'm going to send them a copy of the Taxi listing that said 50/50 and see if that will help.
larry - 2 different things in the listing

1) royalties - are indeed 50/50%
2) up front fees, 25% of total.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:24 am

Hey Cade, sounds like a pretty standard offer to me. Sure, you'd optimally like a bigger cut of any synch fees, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. If this is your first library deal, just jump into the pool!

And I wouldn't think about asking for upfront money at this stage. Again, if it's your first library deal, you really don't have a lot of negotiation power... yet. Just keep plugging away, build up multiple library deals, get a fat stack of placements, compile a stellar catalog of music, work the business from here for at least a few more years, and THEN you can think about charging up front for exclusive deals.

But until then, I'd just sign the sucker and revel in the fact that you've crossed a MAJOR hurdle, and you're well on your way to the promised land of making money from your music. Bravo!!

~~Matt

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:25 am

VanderBoegh wrote:Hey Cade, sounds like a pretty standard offer to me. Sure, you'd optimally like a bigger cut of any synch fees, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. If this is your first library deal, just jump into the pool!

And I wouldn't think about asking for upfront money at this stage. Again, if it's your first library deal, you really don't have a lot of negotiation power... yet. Just keep plugging away, build up multiple library deals, get a fat stack of placements, compile a stellar catalog of music, work the business from here for at least a few more years, and THEN you can think about charging up front for exclusive deals.

But until then, I'd just sign the sucker and revel in the fact that you've crossed a MAJOR hurdle, and you're well on your way to the promised land of making money from your music. Bravo!!

~~Matt

agreed. it all starts someplace. in a few years you will likely have a pretty diversified portfolio of contacts.

Congrats to you Cade!

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:35 am

Hey, Cade-Man... congratulations!! :)
From your Island Fan. :? ;)
"clinks!!" and, to many more;
for you and your mad skills.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Congrats :D
Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

cademan7
Active
Active

Post by cademan7 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:53 am

Thanks everybody for your help! I did decide to go ahead with the deal.

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:51 am

Congrats on your first library deal Cade :) May there be many more and as many placements in time 8-)
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |