My Plan... any advice?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Re: My Plan... any advice?

Post by sabalsounds » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:22 pm

Paulie wrote: Remember, the Taxi Plan is a five year plan, and from what I've been told you need to have about 500 library placements to expect a livable wage just on royalties.

Best of luck!
Great discussion all! 500 placements, in reality, could equate to 2,000 tracks (not to mention all their variations) written if you have a 25% success rate in getting the songs placed. Then, the next question becomes what percentage of the 25% will earn an income? And lastly, income based on what? Some or all of the sync/master fees, writer's and/or publisher's share(s).

It's overwhelming :shock: so I just keep my focus on the work. And sometimes I remember to have a life like Paulie mentioned :)
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:38 pm

That's the crux of it, Steven.
The five year plan isn't really about keeping track of the numbers. It's about working constantly and steadily and finding as many avenues for your music as possible so that you can create a steady stream of royalties.
... That And not letting go of your rent money in the meantime to chase something that is going to take a while to realize.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

LamarPecorino
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by LamarPecorino » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Great advice from those in the know! Good luck Ben!!
Onward and upward!
Lamar

“We set sail on this new sea because there is new knowledge to be gained" JFK

Apathy87

Post by Apathy87 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:39 pm

Good advice indeed! It is rather daunting when you look at the number. Best just keep my head down and do some music! At least today I've taken the first step in progressing and submitted to my first listing. It's the only track on my (new!) Taxi homepageif anyone's interested, though I'm going to go and post it in peer-to-peer. I submitted to the MTV Reality show one as that's what I wrote it for and the deadline is today, though I'd like as much feedback as possible because I'd like to submit it to one of the new listings for singer/songwriter pop.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I think it's helped me focus! Although not on the stew that I just burned while mixing that track. Oops...
'Guitar groups are on the way out.' - Dick Rowe of Decca Records, rejecting The Beatles.

Website | Soundcloud

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikemichnya » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:34 pm

Hey Ben,

Welcome! Having a plan is a great place to start. Writing it down is a necessary next step. And none of it will matter if you don't take action on at least one of your goals or objectives every day.

With respect to the other excellent advice on this thread, I think it helps to make your goals and objectives as measurable as possible, otherwise, it's hard to know what kind of progress you're making. So in addition to focusing on the most important items, I'd suggest being more specific about them. For example, I read that Jerry Seinfelds "five year plan" was to write one joke every day. You could apply that to composing:

Write one song (composition/instrumental cue/hook, etc.) every day.

If you accomplished that objective alone, five years down the road you'd have written over 1,800 songs and ~ assuming that you learn from your mistakes ~ would have more than a few great songs in your catalog.

The acronym I use to make goals measurable is FIND: Frequency, Intensity, Number or Duration. You can use them individually or in combination. (Seinfeld's plan combines number - one joke - with frequency ~ daily.) Saying things like "keep learning about recording" and "keep learning about mixing" doesn't go far enough. (The only time we really stop learning is when we're dead or so brain damaged or demented that we might as well be. ;) ) But you'd know what kind of progress you're making if you re-wrote those objectives to something like:

Experiment with one different guitar recording technique every week (frequency and number)
Complete all the on-line tutorials for (insert the name of your DAW here) (number=all)

Here are a few other suggested revisions to your original list:
Submit at least one song/composition to each singer/songwriter and acoustic guitar listing (number)
Perform when recording with the same focus and intensity as a gig (intensity)
Practice one new fingerstyle technique 5 minutes per day (duration and frequency)

I recommend going back through your plan and after categorizing them as Russell suggested, rewriting them so that each one is measurable ~ and time framed. Set deadlines for when you're going to master the DAW you're using or the number of songs you're going to submit by the end of this year, for example. Deadlines keep us on task, and they give us an end point to shoot for. But the biggest issue is the bottom line: why are you doing this? When you accomplish all this little goals, what will you have then that you don't have now?

I was reading a Quora digest thread earlier today on how people define success, and as you might expect, there was a wide range of opinion's, from the "live often, laugh much" variety to the "when people google 'Pant' (the writer's last name) they'll see my face instead of trousers" fame and fortune type. But it's the music business we're involved in and if you're trying to make a living at it, it really IS, ultimately, all about the numbers, IMHO. How much do you need to earn from songwriting - royalties, licenses, synch fees and all the rest - so that you have the freedom to choose how to spend your time?

I agree w/the Steve Covey idea: begin with the end in mind. If you need 2,000 tracks to get 500 placements to earn a living wage, so be it. You have to know what the target is in order to hit it. We all need to maintain a balance: there's a time to "keep your head down" and just grind away at the work, but it's also important to look up often enough to make sure you're on the right track and not paddling like mad in the wrong direction. And sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses...

Ben, I hope this helps. Good luck! :D
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello

Apathy87

Post by Apathy87 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi Michael,

Those are all excellent suggestions, I do tend to find that being able to actually measure smaller goals can make for a sense of achievement where seeing them as a part of the whole can lead to being overwhelmed. I shall try what you say when I get back from the songwriting course I'm on at the moment! Though I think I'd be tempted to apply that to what will help me achieve most, which I do believe is writing for listings. I want to fall into a natural compose, record, mix cycle and learn as I go. I don't want to spend time trying out mid/side recording or a new tape warmth plugin if it's not leading to a listing. I think I've got the basics, at least enough to get something usable, anyway. I want to build on that but do so while being constructive to make the most of my time. There must be a way to incorporate that into what you say and I shall find it.

PS sorry for delay, been trying to post under new 'BenChurch' account but everything requires moderation and nothing is appearing! When it does eventually get through I'd appreciate people's thoughts on my track Lost in My Mind in peer to peer.
'Guitar groups are on the way out.' - Dick Rowe of Decca Records, rejecting The Beatles.

Website | Soundcloud

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Apathy87 wrote:
PS sorry for delay, been trying to post under new 'BenChurch' account but everything requires moderation and nothing is appearing! When it does eventually get through I'd appreciate people's thoughts on my track Lost in My Mind in peer to peer.
Excellent
Good decision there.
I'll be on the look-out

Rock On, Ben!
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr