Royalties, Royalties, and more Royalties

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Royalties, Royalties, and more Royalties

Post by anthonytop40 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:11 pm

I recently read an article in the paper (here in Australia) , regarding streaming services, in particular Spotify.

Now, I 'm sure everyone is familiar with the Pharrell Williams hit "Happy" .......

Well that song had over 55,000,000.......that's right, over 55 million plays and guess what the payout on that figure was....

$3500-4500 and I'm assuming that's US Dollars (this figure would be worth less in Aussie dollars).

The article did go on to say the Publisher of the song was furious. It did say payment to the artist was around $0.05 per stream.

Best Of Luck

Anthony
We're All Riders On This Train

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:17 am

55 Million plays at .05 per play would be $2,750,000. Even if that was a typo and it was only $.005 per play, that would still be $275,000. Do THAT 3 or 4 times a year, and that's a pretty good living. Maybe not like the old days of selling 23 million albums, but it doesn't suck!

ML

stevebarden
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by stevebarden » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:09 am

admin wrote:55 Million plays at .05 per play would be $2,750,000. Even if that was a typo and it was only $.005 per play, that would still be $275,000. Do THAT 3 or 4 times a year, and that's a pretty good living. Maybe not like the old days of selling 23 million albums, but it doesn't suck!

ML

Hmmm...based on what I've ever seen on Spotify-type streaming it pays more like $0.0005, which would total $27,500 for 55 million plays.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:51 am

That sounds more in line with what I've heard as well. Depressing!

Michael

pedrocosta
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by pedrocosta » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:29 pm

IMO you have to keep it in context.
Performance royalties are largely based on the size of the audience. This is why music generally pays better on a major network vs cable or prime-time vs 3am.

If we take your example of $4 for a 200,000 person audience (streams). If paying equally, 12 million viewers and one performance would pay $240. I haven't had any music on DD, maybe of the folks could chime in.
Has anyone ever gotten paid even as much as $100 for one single airing of a 19 second cue?

In every calculation I've done with colleagues it is showing that streaming is paying quite well in comparison.
There are also several technologies being developed to improve usage reporting thus increasing royalties overall.
I for one am optimistic about the business. Being open and malleable to change will be key to success as the industry morphs through the change in technology and audience habits.
Pedro Costa
Image Image Image

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Post by anthonytop40 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:43 am

Yes - I did do the math on that as well, but I did forget to mention that the $3500-4500 payment was for a/the quarter and the
Publishers cut. It was definitely not around the $2.7M figure, otherwise the Publisher would most likely not be crying foul.
They believe a more realistic royalty rate needs to be paid by the service(spotify) to creators - as we all do.

The $0.05 figure was stated as the Artist's payment. ( I hope it's not $0.005 :cry: )

I know the media/papers can and do report crap at times.......but I thought I'd share the story.

Continued Success To All Here

Anthony

anthonytop40
Impressive
Impressive

Post by anthonytop40 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:51 am

Just Google : Pharrell Williams 55 million plays........ to read another version of the article.

Why didn't I think of that before? :?

Regards

A

nutotech

Post by nutotech » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:39 am

My ASCAP check was just shy of $230 this month. Primarily Outdoor Channel plays. Most cues were about $1; a couple paid around $30. Have seen $100 and up to $1,000 ASCAP checks over the years. What's really heartening: wrote most of these cues 20 years ago! Just goes to show how some cuts are evergreens. :D

Yeah, it's ALL about volume/adding more shows. That's why I joined TAXI (again) four years ago. Getting music with more libraries will (hopefully) see the $100 check become $500. I've signed with five different libraries through TAXI, but so far no royalties from these deals. Then again, it typically takes 3-6 months for libraries to get new material into the hopper.

Re: Duck Dynasty cue. Please post after you see the Foreign? If DD is as popular in Europe as it is here you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:02 am

Interesting post.
I think there are many ways you can make money with your music.
Taxi gives us all a shot at supplying quality targeted music so that we can make $

Lately I have been thinking of how much money I have spent on a DAW and some of the third party plugins purchased, Taxi membership etc
It is quite a substantial investment. Why do we do this..So that we can provide the best sounding music that the libraries need for tv placements.
Overall a huge amount of time spent learning and getting better .

So It's sad that placements are low but as the saying goes you have to have a lot of pokers in the Fire to see a larger collective dollar figure.
I am enjoying the journey so that is to me part of the payoff.

How much are the Barenaked Ladies getting for the theme song to The Big Bang Theory. It's played all the time, everywhere. Now I would like one of those.

Don

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:32 pm

for giggles - we have another discussion going on referring this one:

http://forums.taxi.com/post501039.html#p501039

Discuss away. I would rather be wrong (and making a ton of cash) than right, but it doesn't quite look that way.