Royalty-Free services... thinking of taking the plunge

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Royalty-Free services... thinking of taking the plunge

Post by VanderBoegh » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:19 am

I haven't yet traversed into the world of royalty-free services, but I'm thinking it's about time because I may be leaving a large chunk of money on the table. I've got a ton of non-exclusive cues, and a bunch from my early days of composing that I've never even signed, that might just bring in some extra cash.

Anybody doing royalty-free stuff and seeing good (or decent, or nonexistent) money from it?

For those of you that do well in this world, if you're so inclined to shoot me a PM with a little more detail, I'd be forever grateful. Well, at least grateful enough to buy you a drink at the Rally!!

~~Matt

DanLuedke
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Royalty-Free services... thinking of taking the plunge

Post by DanLuedke » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:27 am

I have also been wondering about this.

If we don't want to have this conversation publicly in the forum, could someone shoot me a PM, too? I buy drinks at the rally as well so then you can have twice as much. ;)
Dan Luedke
Website
Spotify
Apple Music
Amazon

“Most people overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in ten years.” -Bill Gates

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:01 am

I have about 200 tracks on RF sites and I do get payment each month, but it's usually very little (less than $100). I do know some composers who have focused more attention to RF libraries and have way more tracks (over 1000). They do seem to bring in higher payouts, but it does depend on what libraries you work with. Some have decent prices, while other are ridiculously low.

VanderBoegh
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by VanderBoegh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Thanks for the info, Gus. That's kinda what I figured... Maybe $100 checks on a monthly basis if there's enough tracks out there working for you. I suppose it's worth it, after the initial hassle of tagging and describing each track on each website. A little mailbox money is never a bad thing!

~~Matt

RockChild56
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RockChild56 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:08 pm

Hey Matt,

I don't know much about RF, but the thing I would ask is what if the Company offering the $125,000.00
listing decided to get the music from a RF site? From what I've seen they could License In perpetuity
for Any Use a buyout for somewhere between $400.00 to $1500.00.
Also if more and more and more and more Clients use RF then what happens to Taxi
and Company's like them?

Also I don't know about every situation but maybe that is why the Sync fees and prices people
want to or are willing to pay is influenced by the fact they can go to these sites.

And you have to decide if what you will be paid was worth your time.
Maybe you're right, that some thing is better than nothing.

Like I said I know very little about these matters so,
Good Luck Man,

EJB
E J Bell

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:44 am

I would say most royalty free companies are a waste of time in regards to the money you make.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:08 am

My story... In 2012, I started my production music venture with royalty-free sites. For the first year or so, I did ok. Made $100-$300/month with a few hundred tracks in a dozen libraries. Nice side income. My goal was to make about $500/month. Never happened. I always uploaded fresh tracks every month or so and would adjust my prices to make it more affordable. Last year, I noticed a sharp decline in sales and so far this year I've sold little. Something changed since I started. Market saturation? I actually had the most consistent sales on Audiojungle, but their commission is so pathetic, I quit. There are a few people out there making a living from RF sites but they are definitely the exception. I still have tracks up on a few sites but am lucky to make $100/month now.

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:16 am

Hi Matt!

I just came across this post from a while back. I would be interested to hear how it worked out for you with the RF stuff? Is it worth following? I have just submitted to Audiojungle.

Cheers,
Steve

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Wed May 03, 2017 5:39 am

Matt,

I got two of my Christmas piano cues licensed through Pond5. Later, when I got the money through Paypal, I learned they were used in Ireland.

It's just a pretty good feeling when anyone uses or likes one's music, so I would say go for it!

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Wed May 03, 2017 6:37 am

Since my last post on this subject I've all but completely stopped feeding the RF libraries. It was just taking too much of my time away from better paying opportunities.

Like someone else mentioned before, the market is saturated and theirs very little money coming in. On my last post I said I was getting about $100 per month. That was 2 years ago. I'm now barely making enough there to buy coffee. However since putting more focus on PRO generating libraries, I've seen that area increase in placements and payouts.