Questiom About Exclusive Buyouts

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

oddgirl

Questiom About Exclusive Buyouts

Post by oddgirl » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 pm

I'm thinking of submitting an instrumental to a TAXI listing. It says that the deal would be an exclusive buyout.

My question is this. The track I'm thinking of submitting for this pitch is the instrumental version of an EDM song that has lyrics. So would the buyout apply to just the instrumental track, or would I also have to give up the master rights to the full vocal version of the song?

And if I would keep the master rights to the full vocal version of the song, would I still be allowed to pitch it around without getting permission from the person who owns the rights to the instrumental track -- since the track is part of the recorded full song?

I'm a little confused. Any information about this would be appreciated. Thanks!

melodymessiah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Questiom About Exclusive Buyouts

Post by melodymessiah » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:59 pm

i'm not qualified to answer you. if i were you, i would simply ask taxi. they reply to questions you know ;)

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:35 am

The instrumental version of a full song, if signed exclusively, prevents the track/song from being signed elsewhere, yes, imo, because the instrumental is part of the master recording of the song. However you could take your lyrics and set them to a new melody and create a new song that way, I would suggest if you plan to do this that you retitle the instrumental version before submitting, if you want to retain your hook.

The above is JMHO and should not be taken as legal advice.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

AndyKotz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by AndyKotz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:05 pm

If a song is submitted AND accepted for an exclusive buyout, yes, you will give up ALL ownership of that song. They will own the entire song including the lyrics. You should still retain your writer's share (so you get the royalties as a writer) however you will need to be sure that is in writing.

Now... if you submit the track (minus the vocal performance and lyrics of course) and it's accepted, well then... you just gave up the music but you still keep your lyrics and melody/hook or "topline".

You can always ask if you can negotiate something (everything is negotiable) but to be honest... if you question the process, they will quickly move on to the next best song.

That is why they put that disclaimer in the listing. They don't want to haggle with someone over a perceived "hit song". They don't have the time nor do they even care.

Allow me to say this. If you want to get into licensing music... you better NOT become attached to songs. You need to believe that you can write MANY good (if not great) songs, whether they are or not.
Either that, or find another avenue in music to pursue. Such as become your own artist.

If you don't grow thick skin and MAKE yourself produce music in volume (quantity not decibels!), then this music library/licensing thing is NOT for you...

Sorry for the "reality check".

Best wishes nonetheless...
"After silence... that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible... is music" -- Aldous Huxley

AKMusic Productions
ImageImage