Am I trying to be too versatile?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Am I trying to be too versatile?

Post by mobster85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:49 am

I have recently ha six returns for different genres. Chinese, Spanish and a Muzak listing. Ive had forwardsin the recent past for Muzak,Yoga,and hick hop listings.Am i doing the wrong thing by attempting so many different genres? I enjoy trying to create the Music but I am thinking i need to spend more time analyzing the styles. I have just done some swamp Music tracks and Im feeling good about them. Some of the returns were from tracks that were recorded a while back and the screener Says the quality of the drums and guitar are not good Enough. Anyway i would appreciate some feedback.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Am I trying to be too versatile?

Post by daveydad » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:19 am

Bob, I often ask myself that same question! I sometimes take a chance and get forwards for things out of my "niche" I am not totally sure about. I think it's good to stretch yourself and see what happens. If all I did was my niche - new age piano stuff - I would never grow as a composer. Heck, 2 years ago I never would have dreamed I'd have mysterious "country tension" cues playing on Discovery shows!

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:39 am

Thanks David. I appreciate that support.

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveC » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:40 pm

Be prolific or find a niche? No way you get a short answer on that one! :lol: So from my perspective, I would say, why can't we be both?

Would make for an interesting discussion thread.

Short answer for me, Prolific over niche.

cheers

steve

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:05 pm

When I'm looking at opportunities I always go first for the ones I know I can get something ready for, as they are in or close to the genres I am good at. I always have a 'if time' list for genres I would like to try, but, it's important to investigate those genres and the a la's thoroughly so that you aren't wasting your time (or submission fees). Always good to use peer to peer for a 'trying my hand at swampy orchestral hybrid with banjo what do you think' post
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:48 pm

I think you should always challenge yourself, As far as listings go, challenge yourself as long as it doesn't come at the expensive or sacrifice of the areas that you truly shine.

Looking over my forwards so far I've got Trip Hop, African traditional, Chinese traditional, Hip Hop 90s, Muzak, Relaxing, Hick Hop, Dark Jazz and Tension cues. Returns have included Classical, Commercial/Jingles, Happy, Hick Hop, Hip Hop Underground, Indie Pop, Jazz Trio, Latin, Lullaby, Modern Classical, Muzak, Orchestral Drama, Pizzi, Solo Jazz Piano, Songwriter, Sports, Trap, Triba, Urban/Hip Hop, Video Game and Wedding. Still to be determined on EDM, 80s, Bossa and Circus.

You might notice that I've got returns and forwards in the same category. Given that I've never written for any of these styles other than jazz or classical until joining Taxi this year. IMHO, listen to the a la's of any every listing and ask yourself if you think you can produce competitive material in the time required without skipping over potential low hanging fruit for yourself. What I've learned so far is that you have to properly interpret the listing, provide stylistic accuracy and have a clean/professional sounding mix. (hint: use reference mixes).

So, I say go for every listing that your work schedule, personal schedule and other schedules permit. If I didn't have a family or the need to sleep or eat I would be doing this 24x7. :shock: :D

Make sense?
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:43 pm

you know what they say jack of all trades master of none. of course there are some that do it all and good enough. But I believe the quickest way to get good at something is to study it 100%. when I started producing last year I was doing alt rock then 6 months in I tried hip hop and some other genres until deciding to concentrate on edm. so actually only been doing edm like 1 yr. I enjoy edm and I think it was a good choice to specialize in that field. Later could always try other genres but I think in the future electronic music will always be part of whatever I do.

Lately I have deided to go deeper into edm and specialize in electro and progressive house. these are subgenres I love to do and they just happen to be very popular. so..8-)
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Everybody here is making sense. Thanks for sharing.

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:38 am

I Think i will try to collaboratewith people in genres i am Weak in. That could work right?

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Well, you'll learn by doing, so once you've done a bunch of stuff, it's easier to evaluate what worked, what did not, and why.

I believe most important is that you love doing the genre, and that it feels natural to you. Of course you should expand from that, but not 80% expansions and 20% natural genres, rather the opposite. Imagine if you became successful with one of the genres you are trying out, would you be comfortable writing that type of music regularly for the next 5 years? If the answer is no, you should consider focusing instead of branching out.

Listings for main genres will return, so if there has been a listing for something you love doing, you could also consider keeping on doing more tracks in the same genre, even when there are none - as a somewhat similar listing will likely return, and then you will have more tracks to submit. So, you don't have to work only for the current listings, you can single out some and build a bigger portfolio in those you are most proficient in.

You need to be an expert in your bread and butter stuff. You can't be fed properly with jam only :D
Ceo of my own life