Beer Commercial tracks - am I in the ball park?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

monarkeys

Beer Commercial tracks - am I in the ball park?

Post by monarkeys » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 pm

I submitted these (links below) for U150723AD
FUN ENERGETIC CONTEMPORARY INSTRUMENTALS for an Ad Campaign for a Beer Brand. They wanted, hooks and energy. interesting production/sounds would be a bonus. fun, energetic, and catchy. pretty simple. TV Commercial-friendly vibe. production is fresh, and current sounding. Sticking to one melodic and rhythmic motif throughout is probably best

I don't feel like I quite nailed it, but tell me what you think, and I'd love to hear suggestions for how to get it more cutting edge.

Specific questions:
-Did I nail the vibe?
-Are these tracks too complex?
-I used Ellie Goulding's “Burn” and Young the Giant's “My Body” as references:
-I noticed how different sections of the Ellie Goulding and Young the Giant songs were used behind different commercials, so I went with more of a song format vs sticking with one motif throughout. Was that effective? Or did I make a bad choice there?
-I was considering including :30 and :60 edits after the full length piece and submitting the combination of those as a single submission. Would that be a good way to go?

https://soundcloud.com/jakhay/summer-jam_mix-10
https://soundcloud.com/jakhay/soaring-l ... 14/s-kccFM
https://soundcloud.com/jakhay/im-home-i ... 23/s-MITlt

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Beer Commercial tracks - am I in the ball park?

Post by Strangesound » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:29 am

The first thing I noticed is that you could use delay and reverb to make it sound smoother and let the whole track soar up. Lo-Cut the delay/reverb channel at about 250Hz and experiment if the synths sound more alive and bigger afterwards. Maybe the snare could use some verb too.

Watch this tutorial. It's a german video but you will see how you can manipulate the sounds to make them sound the way to want them to sound ;) I think he does a great job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CHRlKAuElg

Make sure to watch part 3 as well.
Adrian

monarkeys

Post by monarkeys » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:11 am

Hey StrangeSound - thanks for the tip - I'll review that link in a bit, but first - which track are you referring to? Or were you saying that all three could use this treatment? Also - are you suggesting adding reverb to the whole mix? or individual tracks?

Strangesound
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Strangesound » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 am

monarkeys wrote:Hey StrangeSound - thanks for the tip - I'll review that link in a bit, but first - which track are you referring to? Or were you saying that all three could use this treatment? Also - are you suggesting adding reverb to the whole mix? or individual tracks?
I forgot to mention that in my opinion all three tracks could benefit of reverb/delay.

My 2 cents:
Not everything needs verb or delay. I'd try to mix some reverb into the synths and the piano first, the piano which comes up in track 3 for example. After adding reverb (maybe with a 2 second decay) see if the songs start to float a bit. I think this tiny floating would enhance the character of the songs and put me as the listener in a sort of cushion. Snares sometimes also benefit from a touch of verb. It might work here too and serve the character of the song. When in doubt, use as few reverb as possible. *

Try it for yourself the tutorial might inspire you. LO-and Hi-Pass the reverb send to get a controlled sound which discerns from the original track and this should get you into the ballpark. Make sure you use reverb-sends and play with it. Mute these sends, un-mute, compare, judge. It should feel more appropriate when done right.

I like the tracks you created. The verb/delay thing could be the tasty cherry on top of and let the tracks "breath" a bit more in my opinion :)

*sometimes none is the answer :D
Adrian