Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Epic Hybrid: Do these fit?

Post by Joseph » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:56 am

https://soundcloud.com/premium-joe/high-impact
https://soundcloud.com/premium-joe/cataclysm-2

Do these two tracks fit this listing?

EPIC, CONTEMPORARY HYBRID TRAILER-style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Top-Tier Music Licensing Company with a super long list of great placements in Film, TV, Commercials, and Trailers. Give them hybridized Instrumentals that could be found on the same playlist as acts specializing in Trailer music like Two Steps From Hell, Audiomachine, Immediate music, etc., etc., etc. Give them fresh Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that are structured like a typical Film Trailer, with 3 "acts" that build as the piece progresses. The hybrid elements you choose to add to your composition can vary from elements of Electro, Dubstep, Alt Rock, etc., etc., etc. Your submissions should have great dynamics, with plenty of texture and layers to deliver an emotionally stirring performance. Easy edit points and crescendos that lead to buttoned endings are strongly encouraged. Please DO NOT copy or rip off the referenced Trailer acts in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length, a little longer might even be better. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal, so please be sure the pieces you pitch for this are NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Any sync fees will be split 50/50 with the Company. As the writer, you'll keep 100% of the Writer's share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit to this pitch. Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Sunday, August 2, 2015. TAXI #Y150802HT

Thanks for your time.

-Joseph

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Epic Hybrid: Do these fit?

Post by mikeymike2000 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:24 am

Hi Joseph,

I would focus on "High Impact" first.

- That has the form but it is a little light overall for this listing that seems to be asking for really "in-your'face- hell's bells" kinda energy.

- I would work on the strings a bit more to get them to sound a little more realistic and also bring out the low end, especially with bigger, harder drum hits.

- The piano part does not really seem to fit in there. I think mostly because that is where we first hear it. Maybe try making that section into a string part would keep the natural unfolding of the entire piece.

For "Cataclysm 2":

- For this specific listing I would bring in the section at 1:20 much sooner, within the first 15-30 seconds and then develop that part through the ending. That would be much closer to what they are asking for, I think.

Hope that helps. Still have 2 days to work em out.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:39 am

Joseph, great stuff! I agree with Mike that it just doesn't quite have the power these kinds of trailers need. I wanted to submit to this but won't have time. I'm still a newbie at this genre myself. Might be your drums are too "polite" and you need to add some faster, more aggressive strings to really cut through and give it that attack feel. Perhaps a huge choir in the mix somewhere? My .00002!

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Joseph » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:04 am

I appreciate the feedback guys! I don't have time to work on these for this particular listing due to family issues, but I will definitely prepare them for the future. I think I'm going to start focusing more of my time on this specific genre.

-Joseph

Tore
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Tore » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:08 pm

Great Work Joseph! These track sounds very good. Im not an expert on making trailer Hybrid, but i think its builds great and has a lot of power to it.
I do agree what was said about drums/perc. Maybe you could try to combine two base drums in your mix. One with more top and one at the low end reg. Then you can tweak them to get the right punch. Ive tried this with Action Strikes combined with other perc and it worked quite well. Just a suggestion you maybe could try:)
The music you made with the two track is very good! Keep going:)

Tore