Review Question for U150706OT

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Review Question for U150706OT

Post by ttully » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:17 am

Hi,
I received this in the review for listing U150706OT.

'The main phrase that repeats seems just a tad awkward at times and lacks a little of the asked for articulation, compared to the solo sections. Still, close call.'

I usually can tell right away what the reviewer is talking about....but this time I am not sure!

I have about 20 tracks in the library that this listing is for.... The owner of the library sent me a message saying not to submit any tracks because he is looking for some new writers to keep up with the demand....
But I submitted anyway...just to see what the screener would say.
I believe the track I submitted is already in their library......

Can someone tell what the problem is.....I am not sure!

Here is the track:
https://soundcloud.com/timtully/challengers-of-the-edge

Here is the original listing:
U150706OT

EPIC, ORCHESTRAL FILM TRAILER INSTRUMENTALS are needed by the Owner of a Music Production Company that has a long history of great placements. Please take a listen to the following playlist to get yourself in the high-bar stylistic ballpark of what they need. Note that after the first piece plays, other examples on the playlist (shown on the right side of the page) will automatically begin to play. The listing company has asked that you “listen to 90 minutes” of these trailer examples before you submit! “Phantasm” Album by Audiomachine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrhWcUF ... e1B8XTHwUi Quoting the source: “All music you send needs to meet the highest standards for Trailer Music. I will be looking at the instrumentation and articulations as well as texture of every orchestral instrument.” Please submit Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumentals that are structured like a typical Film Trailer, with 3 “acts” that build as the piece progresses. Your submissions should unleash a huge emotional impact, with big memorable strings, powerful brass, and bombastic percussion to create a feeling of intensity on a grand scale. Some non-lyrical vocal elements such as a choir can be included, however, please be sure to have a solely instrumental version on hand, as the Production Company will almost certainly request that if they are interested in your music. They’re also open to hybridized (Rock or Electro) accompaniment, but your submission(s) should be firmly rooted in Orchestral instrumentation. Easy edit points and crescendos that lead to buttoned endings are strongly encouraged. Pieces that crescendo to a buttoned ending, followed by a codetta (as often used in Trailers) are okay to submit as well. Please DO NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, texture, tone, and overall vibe. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This is an EXCLUSIVE deal, in perpetuity. You’ll keep 100% of your Writer’s share, and the Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s Share. Please make sure the Instrumentals you pitch to this opportunity are NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. You must own or control the Composition and Master recording to pitch for this listing. Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO basis by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on, Monday, July 6th, 2015. TAXI #U150706OT
Thanks!
Tim

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Review Question for U150706OT

Post by daveydad » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:27 pm

Hmm, kind of scratching my head, too....

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:21 pm

Oh well...... as long as the library liked it. That's fine with me!

Gypsygal
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Gypsygal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:19 pm

Hiya Tully, what a great powerful track. Amazing clarity, punch, builds, etc.
I hear one miniscule thing that "might" be what they refer to, at :56 and 1:03, and again 1:12 and ONLY at those spots,
there is almost an imperceptible little halt before that phrase repeats. It is not present any where else, just those 3 spots
I'm wondering (although makes an easy edit point) if they would have preferred to hear the preceding note more "finished"
before the repeating motif begins? I listened twice and that's all I could hear that could be anything at all like the word used which was
I think awkward or something like that ?

I also imagine that as genius as our reviewers (and even library owners) are, their language skills sometimes come off
rather cryptic. Should not be scratching our heads after a critique. I wonder if asking the reviewer for clarification would be
productive?

Your stuff is awesome. Good luck and continued success ! -diane

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Hey Diane,

How dare you criticize my stuff..... sorry...I'm an ass!!!

I listened to the spots you mentioned........you could be right.
Sometimes you are in the forest and can't see the trees!
I wish the Taxi screeners would explain it like you did.....at 1:07 this is off (etc.)
I have screened for several libraries an I always said exactly where and what the problems were. (exactly as you did)

Those movie trailers very very high bar......

Anyway..thanks for your kind words!!!

Take care,
Tim