Standard ways that songs are requested??? - Newbie Question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

moodscape

Standard ways that songs are requested??? - Newbie Question

Post by moodscape » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Hi All,

I am curious and can't find definitive answers out there. Any input you can give would be awesome...

What are some of the typical ways that libraries and Music Supervisor's request songs in?
Do they often want the stems (mastered or not)?
Should I be creating Cues for all the tunes that I submit so I have that ready? (I'm pretty sure that I'm correct that cues are short transitions that ring out at the end, often used to go from one scene to the next or back from a commercial break, etc.)

Is there a Taxi article on the web out there explaining this or somewhere else on the web? I would really appreciate some info :D I'm really trying to excel in the film/tv music world and I want to be as prepared as I can.

Thanks,
Tory
“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” ― Albert Einstein

| MoodscapeMedia.com | Taxi | SoundCloud |

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Standard ways that songs are requested??? - Newbie Quest

Post by Russell Landwehr » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:01 am

moodscape wrote:Hi All,

I am curious and can't find definitive answers out there. Any input you can give would be awesome...

What are some of the typical ways that libraries and Music Supervisor's request songs in?
Should I be creating Cues for all the tunes that I submit so I have that ready? (I'm pretty sure that I'm correct that cues are short transitions that ring out at the end, often used to go from one scene to the next or back from a commercial break, etc.)

Is there a Taxi article on the web out there explaining this or somewhere else on the web? I would really appreciate some info :D I'm really trying to excel in the film/tv music world and I want to be as prepared as I can.

Thanks,
Tory
Hi Tory.

It's rare for them to ask for stems, but sometimes they will. If you are mixing yourself and can pull up your DAW and break out the stems on demand, don't worry about taking the time for it now. However, if you are paying a studio to do the work for you, it is best to get stems at that time just in case. As far as "mastering" just make sure your song sounds the best it can.
Now, that being said... if you want to make alternate mixes (like no percussion or acoustic only or something like that... as long as they make musical sense as a stand-alone piece of music) it's good to do those right off the bat. If you are doing songs with vocal, then it is also best to have an instrumental version ready to go as well.

A "Cue" is industry speak for an instrumental piece about 1:30 to 2:00 that can be used usually under dialog (underscore). "Cues" can also be used during action scenes or panoramic scenes or montages... etc. Michael Laskow recently differentiated between "Instrumental" and "Cue" in TAXI listings. "Instrumentals" would mean instrumental songs that can stand on their own and don't really sound like something that would be used as supporting music for dialog. Instrumentals (as opposed to Cues) work better as "source music" (a band or a radio or a DJ or a jukebox in the scene) and in montages or panoramic scenes or scenes that have no dialog.

The shorter things are called "stings" or "bumpers" and they are used to transition from one scene to another or to tag the end of a scene.
There are some Libraries that like to have those, but once again, if you have the ability to go back to your mix and create them, I wouldn't worry about it until you have to cross that bridge.

There is a search feature for the Forums, it's in the top menu. If you search for certain keywords or phrases, you may find more information. Sometimes it may lead you to more questions. ALWAYS feel free to ask questions here in the Forums. It can be educational for everyone.

Regards
Russell Landwehr

EDIT: about making stems... it IS a good idea to render all your individual tracks to disk as audio. Sometimes software upgrades have made saved projects unusable. This will make it possible to re-mix stuff from audio when some virtual instrument or fx plug-in setting fails to work in upgraded software.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:51 pm

Russell provided a lot of good info. Welcome to the forums! 8-)

I would just add for dance music they like sub mixes...drum and bass only, no lead, no lead + no fx, alt stinger endings etc. lots of different sub mixes. I do AIFF and WAV master files as well.

Sub mixes are time consuming but easier when track has clean edit points.
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

moodscape

Post by moodscape » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:35 am

Awesome info. Thanks a lot!!!

Russell, you're right on the money. After reading in the forum for hours just consuming info I ended up with these questions just cuz I wanted to be clear on my understanding. Beware of taking in too much info at once (brain=kaboom!). LOL!!!

Thanks again!
“If I were not a physicist, I would probably be a musician. I often think in music. I live my daydreams in music. I see my life in terms of music.” ― Albert Einstein

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:17 pm

moodscape wrote:Awesome info. Thanks a lot!!!

Russell, you're right on the money. After reading in the forum for hours just consuming info I ended up with these questions just cuz I wanted to be clear on my understanding. Beware of taking in too much info at once (brain=kaboom!). LOL!!!

Thanks again!
DUDE! I totally understand... I suppose you saw this thread? http://forums.taxi.com/topic131990.html
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

moodscape

Post by moodscape » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:07 pm

Yeah! That's one of the ones that I ran across! Thx