What is standard royalty for broadcast radio

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

What is standard royalty for broadcast radio

Post by mikeymike2000 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Hello forum,

Does anyone know:

1) What the standard rate would be for broadcast radio (talk station) that would play a 0:15, 0:30 or 1:00 audio brand? (not a commercial, an audio that introduces a small sound bite on a regular basis)

2) Is there a standardized contract someone can post up or send me a private link to?

Thank you in advance!

nutotech

Re: What is standard royalty for broadcast radio

Post by nutotech » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:23 pm

Too bad you didn't ask this question a couple years ago Mikey. Have written and syndicated News-Talk ID packages to a number of stations and did very well with ASCAP. That's until (I think) May of 2014 when ASCAP changed the Credits for Radio production elements. And we're talking serious reduction: what used to pay $100 now pays $3. (Or is it 30¢?)

Most of my compadres don't even bother filing tracks with ASCAP. I know of two sub-publishers that won't even chase those dollars any more--just not worth it. You may do OK if you're writing a network news or sports theme. Should pay pretty much every quarter.

Currently ALL my efforts are writing for TV. If fact, I'm posting a question re: ASCAP vs. BMI.

Sorry for the bad news. Good news? Write a hit song and you'll get fat and happy from Radio from either ASCAP or BMI. :D