Help me define "central melodic theme"

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Help me define "central melodic theme"

Post by Paulie » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:09 am

Got some great feedback in my returns today (and a forward as well). Props to the screeners!

One thing I've had a little trouble with is understanding the concept of a "central melodic theme". I've had returns because I needed a theme, or needed a stronger theme. To me a melodic theme is a simple melody phrase, a few notes, or perhaps a few bars, that repeat throughout the duration of the cue. Should they be very prominent in the mix like a melody, or moire subtle and in the background like a motif? Lastly, should it stay the same through out, or are variations encouraged?

Thanks folks!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Help me define "central melodic theme"

Post by TimWalter » Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:46 am

I also would like this defined more thoroughly by more experienced folks. I need help understanding here also.
Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:12 am

Paulie wrote: "central melodic theme". I've had returns because I needed a theme, or needed a stronger theme.

I would say the definition isn't quite as narrow as you are taking it
To me a melodic theme is a simple melody phrase, a few notes, or perhaps a few bars, that repeat throughout the duration of the cue.
you really have to listen to some of the members who have been doing this forever and have gotten mondo placements. I can name names if you PM.

reverse engineer what they have done and compare to what you think you hear. What did they use as the "theme".

Yes in instrumental music that doesn't have use as score (typically) there is an actual melodic theme. Even in orchestral film score music, there is usually an actual melodic theme (or motif - they are the same to me).

More modern things often follow the motif (chord / rhythm) that more pop orientated music does. Like the Inception soundtrack, some of the horn stuff (to me).
Should they be very prominent in the mix like a melody, or moire subtle and in the background like a motif?

listen to what others have done. Do it that way.
Lastly, should it stay the same through out, or are variations encouraged?
variations are certainly useful. Just not so narrow as you might think. Its not normal, inverse, retrograde, transposition etc. Its also arrangement, orchestration. And it has to fit within the context of production music. Typically no key changes, no meter changes etc.

HTH

my opinion based on listening.

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by burpo » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Check out Beethoven for this. He did a lot of that: taking a small phrase and building a whole piece around it.
The "Fifth" comes to mind.

Or, the first three notes of "Silver Bells."

The verse melody in Bonnie Raitt's "I Can't Make You Love Me." "Raiders of the Lost Ark" theme ...

Off the top o' my head, that's what I gots.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician