Questions about how supes/libraries contact

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NomadYag

Questions about how supes/libraries contact

Post by NomadYag » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:52 am

Hi fellow passengers!

I have been playing music live and composing for several years now, but the publishing/sync/placement world is really new to me. I am reaching out to this excellent knowledge base on the forums (you guys!) to find out some nuts and bolts procedures, or what to expect with first contact.

So first off, when someone like a library with a potential placement is interested in licensing your music, how do they reach you? (I'm talking ballpark percentages) Is it mainly email? Is it mainly phone? Or through a form on your website?

Second question, who initiates what when it comes to contracts? Do they contact you and say here's what we are paying, if you sign this contract? Or is it more like we are offering this amount, if you want it send us your standard license contract?

Any insight you can give me will help. I looked for some previous posts on the subject but we type A LOT!

Thanks for your feedback.
--Damo

http://www.damonallengaymusic.com/

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Questions about how supes/libraries contact

Post by guscave » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:22 am

Hi Damo,

Every library works different, but I'll tell you that my own personal experience has been that they'll contact you by email. Most of all my follow up communications have also been through email. The only time I've really dealt with a library over the phone, has been with a couple I already have a friendly relationship with and we might talk about other stuff that's not necessarily music related.

As for contracts, the library will initiate and provide it for you. Most library will send you a "take it or leave it" contract. There are some that may negotiate, but I have yet to come across one.

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:43 am

guscave wrote:Hi Damo,

Every library works different, but I'll tell you that my own personal experience has been that they'll contact you by email. Most of all my follow up communications have also been through email. The only time I've really dealt with a library over the phone, has been with a couple I already have a friendly relationship with and we might talk about other stuff that's not necessarily music related.

As for contracts, the library will initiate and provide it for you. Most library will send you a "take it or leave it" contract. There are some that may negotiate, but I have yet to come across one.
I agree. Libraries will initiate contact with you if they are interested. Cold calling them doesn't necessarily work. I've talked to one library owner on the phone after a TAXI forward (the convo never led to a deal because I didn't have the music she was looking for) but I mainly correspond with the one library I am signed to by e-mail.

NomadYag

Post by NomadYag » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:31 pm

Aha that makes sense, thanks guys for illuminating.

I have only dealt with one library (so far!) that took any of my submissions and I submitted my music directly to them online, so everything went through their website. They also offered a take it or leave it agreement, but I haven't been contacted from any Taxi forwards yet.

I got a little nervous because I don't want to miss an email (my filters even keep kicking even Taxi emails into spam even though I have them on every safelist known to man.) Sounds like I haven't missed anything. You guys put my mind at ease!

--Damo

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:14 am

Email. If they contact you via phone, they're desperate and your price goes up. :D
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone