Issues with listing D150809PI

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ccoltman

Issues with listing D150809PI

Post by ccoltman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:47 am

Hi guys,

I had submitted a new track to this listing about three weeks ago. The first issue is that it's still showing as Pending in my Submission History, but I got an email from a library owner telling me he loves the track and wants to sign it. I wasn't even notified it got forwarded.

Second issue is that the listing stated: "This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. Writers will also get a percentage of any sync fees, which will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis."

When they wrote me back, they stated that they will take 100% of the publishing as well as 25% of any upfront fees. I assume this means 100% of the writer's share is mine, but how does that translate to a 50/50 split? Maybe I'm confusing the terms (i.e. 100% pub to them and 100% writers to me is kind of like 50/50) but a real 50/50 would be half of both wouldn't it?

Anyways I don't want to be picky on small things, particularly for a NE deal, but I do want to be clear on what the terms mean.

Thanks,
Chris

RockChild56
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Issues with listing D150809PI

Post by RockChild56 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:41 am

If the publishers share and writers share are the same amount then it Is indeed 50/50.

Are you upset that you were contacted by the library before you were by Taxi?
That wouldn't bother me. Just sayin.
E J Bell

ccoltman

Post by ccoltman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:55 am

Hey nobody's upset!

i was just asking if these things are the same! It was confusing because I didn't know if this was the same listing, and also a bit confused about the wording, because in other contracts I see 50% of everything listed specifically in the contract.

Being confused and being upset are different things lol

ccoltman

Post by ccoltman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:50 am

I should follow this up with a related question, are publisher and writer amounts generally the same?

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:34 pm

100% of publishing means 50% of the total. It's what's sometimes called the "200% Pie" and can be confusing. Every dollar of performance royalty (e.g. such as through ASCAP, BMI, etc) is split 50% to the publisher (that's 100% of the publisher's share) and 50% to the writer (that's 100% of the writer's share). So it is exactly what it said in the listing.

Usually non-exclusive libraries re-title songs so they can be the publisher for that titled version but allow anyone else to collect publishing on any other title. They register the song with PROs under that new title with you as the writer and themselves as the publisher. Then, if the song is used on TV, for example, the cue sheet filled out by the TV production company will have THAT title and the PROs will use that to distribute royalties. So the will get 100% of the publishing for THEIR placements.

HTH
:) Casey

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:35 pm

ccoltman wrote:I should follow this up with a related question, are publisher and writer amounts generally the same?
And yes, they usually are the same (50/50).

RockChild56
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RockChild56 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:21 pm

ccoltman wrote:Hey nobody's upset!

i was just asking if these things are the same! It was confusing because I didn't know if this was the same listing, and also a bit confused about the wording, because in other contracts I see 50% of everything listed specifically in the contract.

Being confused and being upset are different things lol
Gotcha
E J Bell

ccoltman

Post by ccoltman » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Great thanks guys, clears everything up for current and future deals.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:33 pm

ccoltman wrote:When they wrote me back, they stated that they will take... 25% of any upfront fees.
THAT's interesting... usually the up-front fees (sync fees) are also split 50/50,,, yer coming out ahead there.

Russell

EDIT: also, it is not unusual to hear from the listing party before getting the forward notification from TAXI... 50% of my library deals through TAXI have been this way.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

DooWahDiddy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DooWahDiddy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:17 pm

Russell Landwehr wrote:
ccoltman wrote:EDIT: also, it is not unusual to hear from the listing party before getting the forward notification from TAXI... 50% of my library deals through TAXI have been this way.
This is really good to know. If that happened to me, my first instinct would be that it might be a scam of some sort (not TAXI, the person emailing you). Since you don't know who you're submitting to, I can see a situation where maybe they get a hold of your name and figure out you're a TAXI member, then email you that they're interested. Glad to hear that's probably not the case!