Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Holy Sheep Schtick Batman!

Post by andygabrys » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Sallier wrote:
andygabrys wrote:Really a bummer when some things are nailed down and the only creativity comes from the music and the lyrics :lol:

On wait - I've got stuff placed on TV like that too. :)

I guess it's not a bummer.

Is there a point to this reply?

Obviously I ruffled your feathers.

Perhaps you would like me to post your PM message for all to see.

Grow up.

Sallier

Post by Sallier » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:09 am

andygabrys wrote:
Sallier wrote:
andygabrys wrote:Really a bummer when some things are nailed down and the only creativity comes from the music and the lyrics :lol:

On wait - I've got stuff placed on TV like that too. :)

I guess it's not a bummer.

Is there a point to this reply?

Obviously I ruffled your feathers.

Perhaps you would like me to post your PM message for all to see.

Grow up.
I'm not the one going to a songwriting thread (primarily questioning the acceptance of only one formula) to brag about myself (there are actually two other parts of this forum for bragging about ones self yet you chose to not use them and post off topic here) and make insinuations about creativity, musicianship and lyrical content. As to your your last point, if you want to break more rules by posting a PM in which I questioned your reasoning for the above behavior that's on you; 'grow up' indeed.

Possibly you had one too many and/or were even in a more foul mood than myself last night, so given the benefit of the doubt and if you wish to change tune and be cordial - feel free to address one of the things not readdressed here that I brought up as for formats; CVCVC being one of which I have pointed out as an age old proven method which opposes VCVCC yet however flows the same.

The balls in your court mate.

S.
Last edited by Sallier on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:35 am

Sallier
Back to songs and structure... The discussion is a bit moot if you don't post a link to one of your songs including lyrics. The other critical thing we need to know is what your GOAL is. You joined Taxi for a reason. Did you want to pitch your songs to publishers for potential recording by artists? Film/TV? Both?

Without seeing/hearing your work and knowing your goal, there really isn't much to talk about.

Best,
:D Casey

Sallier

Post by Sallier » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:44 am

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Last edited by Sallier on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:30 am, edited 3 times in total.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:11 am

Sallier
I don't know what listing you submitted this for, but here's the reality. What you have here isn't at all ready for prime time as far as pitching to labels, publishers, film/TV libraries, etc. There's a reason why song structures work both musically and lyrically and why the screener made that comment. Without structure, songs get dull, repetitive, and possibly unfocused. And demo quality does matter nowadays since your competing with thousands and thousands who have home studio setups and produce excellent broadcast quality recordings. The sound quality, production, vocal performance (expressive, not pitchy), etc. all matter.

BTW, I listened to another song on your RN page, "Something In Your Eyes Has Changed". That has a wonderful Dylan-esque feel to it. I think you have a knack for that Dylan style. No, you would never get a label deal today but a song like this, with tweaks, well recorded and performed could be a great Film/TV song. Film/TV often looks for "replacement" tracks-- songs that sound true to a given era to use in scenes that take place at that time (e.g. the 1960's).

My advice would be forget about label deals. They are incredibly hard to come by for ANYONE anyway and you'd have to have a fresh (or copycat, I admit), youthful sound with kick butt songwriting and recordings. Similarly, it would be hard for you to pitch songs to publishers for artists to record.

However, if you change your mind and want to pursue Film/TV, you could work within your niche area. The key would be honing the songwriting, and learning the production and performance side... Or collaborate with others here who can add the production and performance side. Don't be offended if you are not the right one to sing your own songs.

If you don't think you want to adapt, you could contact Taxi and ask for a refund. I can't speak to what their exact policy is but I'm told that in your first membership year, you can get a refund.

Hope this was helpful.

Best,

Sallier

Post by Sallier » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:29 am

Casey H wrote:Sallier
I don't know what listing you submitted this for, but here's the reality. What you have here isn't at all ready for prime time as far as pitching to labels, publishers, film/TV libraries, etc. There's a reason why song structures work both musically and lyrically and why the screener made that comment. Without structure, songs get dull, repetitive, and possibly unfocused. And demo quality does matter nowadays since your competing with thousands and thousands who have home studio setups and produce excellent broadcast quality recordings. The sound quality, production, vocal performance (expressive, not pitchy), etc. all matter.

BTW, I listened to another song on your RN page, "Something In Your Eyes Has Changed". That has a wonderful Dylan-esque feel to it. I think you have a knack for that Dylan style. No, you would never get a label deal today but a song like this, with tweaks, well recorded and performed could be a great Film/TV song. Film/TV often looks for "replacement" tracks-- songs that sound true to a given era to use in scenes that take place at that time (e.g. the 1960's).

My advice would be forget about label deals. They are incredibly hard to come by for ANYONE anyway and you'd have to have a fresh (or copycat, I admit), youthful sound with kick butt songwriting and recordings. Similarly, it would be hard for you to pitch songs to publishers for artists to record.

However, if you change your mind and want to pursue Film/TV, you could work within your niche area. The key would be honing the songwriting, and learning the production and performance side... Or collaborate with others here who can add the production and performance side. Don't be offended if you are not the right one to sing your own songs.

If you don't think you want to adapt, you could contact Taxi and ask for a refund. I can't speak to what their exact policy is but I'm told that in your first membership year, you can get a refund.

Hope this was helpful.

Best,
Casey,

Thank you again. No, not offended at all as I not only have been looking for a female to sing alternate versions but would love nothing more than to find a guy to do the male versions as well. That said the ad stated simple demos were fine but just the same your point remains intact and valid.

Once again back to your point of making a decision as to what this place is actually for; i.e. Film/TV placement. I will have a good think on that sir as that was not clear and was certainly not what I was intending.

Have a great day mate.

S.

joyfrost
Impressive
Impressive

Post by joyfrost » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:03 am

Whether or not you choose to stay at TAXI and see what it is you can learn here, if I may I'd love to offer an easy tip to help you strengthen your demos for your future music endeavors :) The sad truth is, even when someone says a simple guitar vocal demo is okay, the bar is still set pretty high and high quality performances with clean and clear recording quality are expected anyway.. :? With that in mind, it is very advisable to always record to a metronome and to make sure your guitar is in tune :) I listened to a few of your recordings and noticed that the tune was out and the beat was not always clear to follow throughout the song. My internal metronome is all over the place myself, so for me the metronome is truly a godsend!! Also it never hurts to take the time to record the guitar and vocal separately (and lay down several takes) so you can make sure that each performance is flawless and really puts your best foot forward. ;) Add some gentle compression, slap on an EQ to take out any yucky frequencies, put on a little reverb, and suddenly even a simple guitar vocal demo sounds polished and professional. 8-) Best of luck to you

Joy

Sallier

Post by Sallier » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 am

joyfrost wrote:Whether or not you choose to stay at TAXI and see what it is you can learn here, if I may I'd love to offer an easy tip to help you strengthen your demos for your future music endeavors :) The sad truth is, even when someone says a simple guitar vocal demo is okay, the bar is still set pretty high and high quality performances with clean and clear recording quality are expected anyway.. :? With that in mind, it is very advisable to always record to a metronome and to make sure your guitar is in tune :) I listened to a few of your recordings and noticed that the tune was out and the beat was not always clear to follow throughout the song. My internal metronome is all over the place myself, so for me the metronome is truly a godsend!! Also it never hurts to take the time to record the guitar and vocal separately (and lay down several takes) so you can make sure that each performance is flawless and really puts your best foot forward. ;) Add some gentle compression, slap on an EQ to take out any yucky frequencies, put on a little reverb, and suddenly even a simple guitar vocal demo sounds polished and professional. 8-) Best of luck to you

Joy

Good points Joy. Yes, using the built in Voice Memos app on the phone isn't the best quality, next to the worst one could make I suppose. That said, I have just recently begun utilizing multi-track recordings; playing around with Logic Pro X, however there is nothing that can help my pipes as I just need to find others to sing these twelve songs, as well as spend some quality time using some of your suggestions and more, so I can move on to the next dozen.

Reading through the recording forums there are obviously a lot of people around here who know a helluva lot more than myself on the subject so there's a wealth of information to gain just from researching.

I will take down everything on here and wait to make my decision until after getting some help and better quality recordings re-uploaded.

Thank you.

Cheers!

S.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 am

Sallier wrote:
I'm not the one going to a songwriting thread (primarily questioning the acceptance of only one formula) to brag about myself (there are actually two other parts of this forum for bragging about ones self yet you chose to not use them and post off topic here) and make insinuations about creativity, musicianship and lyrical content. As to your your last point, if you want to break more rules by posting a PM in which I questioned your reasoning for the above behavior that's on you; 'grow up' indeed.

Possibly you had one too many and/or were even in a more foul mood than myself last night, so given the benefit of the doubt and if you wish to change tune and be cordial - feel free to address one of the things not readdressed here that I brought up as for formats; CVCVC being one of which I have pointed out as an age old proven method which opposes VCVCC yet however flows the same.

The balls in your court mate.

S.
In reply to your questions:

1) Sorry for entering into this discussion in the first place. I should have reserved my words.
2) A PM is your choice. Check the FAQ to see whether or not posting any part of it is "against the rules". If you are unhappy with what somebody posts, then perhaps you should reconsider what you actually write. This internet forum is public, and what we write here lives forever.
3) You did little in your PM to discuss anything or debate anything, but rather you displayed an unusually cunning wit with language that would make most people turn red with embarrassment. I would re-consider using that kind of language to anyone, no matter how angry you are. You and I have never met. You immediately lost any credibility in my view. If you do this to enough people, you can burn any bridges with people that you might have allied with to accomplish your goals - which I imagine include making money off your songwriting.
4) I am sorry you were in a bad mood - as you know, text messages, and emails in general do not display any emotion.
5) Actually no, I was not in a bad mood.
6) Considering songwriting and writing for TV in general - Form is a container into which you pour musical and lyrical ideas. There are pretty well established "norms" for forms which make the grade time and time again. Did you write in one of those? Did you do something different? Did the screener have any other feedback besides the form of the song? I think others in this thread covered a number of points which are important to consider and by the looks of your replies to Joy et al, it looks like you will. Kudos to you there.
7) Although you might have believed differently, your "demo" is up against well produced tunes of the highest calibre that exist today. This is the big league.

Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:53 am

Salliers,

I'm more than happy to give you a refund, as it looks like TAXI might not be a good fit for you and your music. I wanted to hear your music on Reverbnation, but it appears you've taken it off. I'll check it out later on your TAXI profile.

As for your signature at the bottom of your posts that incorrectly describes TAXI and insults our members (who've been more than patient, kind and helpful to you): demonstrating that level of anger and what some might call a lack of civility in a public forum isn't going to help your cause. I doubt that record labels, publishers, or the artists you'd like to have cut your songs some day would want to work with somebody who would act like that, IMHO.

BTW, the people on this page of our forum ( http://forums.taxi.com/taxi-success-stories-f7.html ) are not doing "jingles."

Call me at 818-222-2464 if you'd like to get a refund of your membership fee.

sincerely,
Michael