Creating a Website

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Creating a Website

Post by LesSampou » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:26 am

Hello!
I am eager to talk with any members who have created websites that "showcase" their music to film and tv clientele. I'm about to hire a company to help with design and technical aspects but before I do, I'd love to get some insight into what a good writer/composer's website looks like (as opposed to a musician/performing songwriter who lists gigs, sells cds, etc.) I have one of those and am creating a second one for my "catalog" but still want to keep a sense of "the band/arist" to my page.

I found a wonderful site by an acquaintance and taxi member extra-ordinaire Helen Austin who walks the fine line of promoting herself as artist and TV/Film composer very nicely.

Anyone proud of their site and want to share a link?

See you all at the Rally! I look forward to meeting you!
Les

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Creating a Website

Post by Kolstad » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:22 am

Imo, Wix have some great templates in the music, art and entertainment categories.
http://www.wix.com
Ceo of my own life

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi Les,

I personally don't think you or anyone else should pay someone for a website. They are rather easy to do these days and lots of places have templates you can manage yourself without any specialized knowledge.

I will send you a private message with a link you can check out.

ronnie35
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ronnie35 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 am

When u receive the info v could u forward it to my e mail rsguitarsongs@comcast.net
Thanks Ron
Chopin: "Simplicity is the highest goal, achievable when you have overcome all difficulties. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art." http://www.ronschultz.org

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:19 pm

I've had good luck with Bandzoogle. My site is not very complete so I won't link to it, but that is totally my fault. Right now it's just a music vault. I'll spiff it up one of these days. Bandzoogle makes it very easy. I agree with the above: don't pay someone unless you really really need to!

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:29 pm

mikeymike2000 wrote:Hi Les,

I personally don't think you or anyone else should pay someone for a website. They are rather easy to do these days and lots of places have templates you can manage yourself without any specialized knowledge.

I will send you a private message with a link you can check out.

Unless there's some compelling reason, why would you not post a helpful link in the clear? What I mean is, I have friends, a bass luthier and an amp designer, who are currently overwhelmed with orders, but isn't that the best of reasons to be patient? You can have it good, fast or cheap, pick any two.

*edited to include quote
Last edited by mojobone on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 am

Not sure who you're talking to here MJ, but in case it's me: I didn't post a link because my site is, at this point, a template with some songs on it. It would be just about as informative to look at any template, which Les can easily do at bandzoogle.com. All templates have pre-built pages for music sales, performance calendars, etc. Pretty good. Plus they renew your domain for you.

Main point: don't pay someone a lot to design your site unless you really are sure it's worth it -otherwise, why reinvent the wheel?

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:25 am

jonnybutter wrote:Not sure who you're talking to here MJ, but in case it's me: I didn't post a link because my site is, at this point, a template with some songs on it. It would be just about as informative to look at any template, which Les can easily do at bandzoogle.com. All templates have pre-built pages for music sales, performance calendars, etc. Pretty good. Plus they renew your domain for you.

Main point: don't pay someone a lot to design your site unless you really are sure it's worth it -otherwise, why reinvent the wheel?
I've amended my post. :D I just thought Mikey might be a lil' too modest.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:43 am

I just thought Mikey might be a lil' too modest.
yeah could be. ;)

mikeymike2000
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mikeymike2000 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:18 am