From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Mentor Lunch Sign Ups? (2015)

Post by Razor7Music » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:40 pm

andygabrys wrote:
LesSampou wrote:Ok, thanks Andy....So the mentor lunches, highly rec'd in your opinion and when perhaps do we find out the cost? Thanks so much for helping us newbies out.
L:)
OK - Two different things:

1) Mentor sessions: where you have 1 on 1 time with a mentor (usually of your choice unless you are near the end of the registration line - which is why some people elect to get to LA very early Thursday or Wednesday night, so they can be near the front of the line). If a mentor is impressed and can see a market for your music, they MAY take a CD of your material.

2) Mentor Lunches: Where there are 8-10 members seated around a round table and there are mentors that spend 10 minutes of so at your table and then rotate. The mentors may have things they want to talk about, or they may engage you in learning about what you do or both. Usually the mentor lunches are very loud (there are several hundred people in each one) and so there is some strategy to employ when picking your seat (i.e. next to a monitor usually works great - don't be timid). In years past the lunches were $35 per person per lunch, which got you an omnivorous or vegetarian entree that are always tasty, and the chance to make some connections with mentors, or other members sitting at your table, or in the very least learn a little from the mentor. The Mentor Lunches I believe are usually Friday and Saturday - I have done at least one each year.

Both highly recommended in my view, as that's two of the reasons to go to the Rally - to make connections, and to learn.

However: try not to get tunnel vision and think that you are only succeeding if a mentor takes your music. If you are in this game for the long haul (which for most is the way to succeed) then you will be to a bunch of Rally's and industry events over time and its repeated time with some of these mentors that will eventually lead to you having a chance to work with them. It also takes some time to learn who people are, and what they do. On the first Rally the amount of people and information is a little blinding. Everyone has a different path.

Connecting with other composer / writer / performers is one of the most powerful things about the rally, and meeting the other members at your table is great too (as long as you aren't talking over the mentor - as that is another issue as it is hard to hear in the lunch - its just loud).

HTH
Hey Andy--

Thanks for the clarification. For a minute there I thought I called it the wrong thing in my post's subject.

My guest for the Rally wanted me to find out when he can sign up for the lunch (not the 1:1), and that is where Russell said that wasn't out yet.

See you all there!
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:53 pm

Thank you so much Andy, you should be knighted a Taxi Saint.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Or Forum MVP at the very least. :-)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

mobster85
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by mobster85 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:33 am

You should be knighted in the Taxi court.

karlhourigan
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by karlhourigan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:50 pm

Thanks for the post, Andy. So you really have to line up that early to get a shot at the mentor lunches?
"You do what you can - can't do much more than that" - George Harrison

http://www.gailandkarl.com
http://www.electricbard.com
http://www.themalarkeys.com

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:14 am

karlhourigan wrote:Thanks for the post, Andy. So you really have to line up that early to get a shot at the mentor lunches?
tickets went on sale today https://www.taxi.com/rally/lunch-registration2015.php

so you have no shot at mentor lunches unless you buy ticket(s) ahead of time.

But the day of the lunch people usually start lining up a few minutes ahead of the lunch start time. It doesn't necessarily translate into getting the "best seat" if you are at the head of the line.

This is also different from getting your one-on-one mentor session (line up on thursday). If you are really keen on getting one specific person, yes the lining up starts early. At noon or before. That's a lot of hours to wait in line but its up to you.

Hope its clear that the one-on-one sessions are totally unrelated to the mentor lunches..

gabrielmorgan
Active
Active

Post by gabrielmorgan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:36 am

Hey Y'all,

Just to let you know, the confirmation e-mail has incorrect dates on it. If you see your mentor lunch is on the 8th or the 9th, don't worry, it's not. We are fixing the issue right now, and the correct dates should be in the e-mail confirmations shortly.

Also, since we've gotten a few calls about it this morning: If you sign up for a mentor lunch and the page goes to a blank after you sign up, check your e-mail. The confirmation e-mail/receipt should be sent off after you process the payment for the mentor lunch. We tested the process multiple times and every time that's what it did.

Thank you and I'll see most, if not all of you, at the Rally!
Best Regards,

Gabe Morgan
TAXI Independent A&R - Member Services

kova

Post by kova » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:05 pm

gabrielmorgan wrote:Hey Y'all,

Just to let you know, the confirmation e-mail has incorrect dates on it. If you see your mentor lunch is on the 8th or the 9th, don't worry, it's not. We are fixing the issue right now, and the correct dates should be in the e-mail confirmations shortly.

Also, since we've gotten a few calls about it this morning: If you sign up for a mentor lunch and the page goes to a blank after you sign up, check your e-mail. The confirmation e-mail/receipt should be sent off after you process the payment for the mentor lunch. We tested the process multiple times and every time that's what it did.

Thank you and I'll see most, if not all of you, at the Rally!
I signed up earlier today but I never got a confirmation page or confirmation email but I checked my bank statement and the money's been deducted. How long does it take for the confirmation email to come?

gabrielmorgan
Active
Active

Post by gabrielmorgan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Kova,

Please call us at 818-222-2464 tomorrow or Friday and we will check to see if the transfer went through from online to our system.
Best Regards,

Gabe Morgan
TAXI Independent A&R - Member Services

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:45 pm

Yup--Andy IS the man.

I got the email from Taxi too.

Thanks!!
Thanks,