From the desk of Michael Laskow.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Mentor Lunch Sign Ups? (2015)

Post by Razor7Music » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Guys--

Looking forward to seeing many of you again in November!

I just got to work and I'm trying to hurry and find the mentor lunch sign-up info and can't seem to. If it's been released, can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Thanks,

Stephen Davis, Songwriter
Music: here
For Daily Progress Reports on Twitter: @razor7music
Facebook: @r7mStephenDavis

“If everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong” --Jenna McMahon

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Mentor Lunch Sign Ups? (2015)

Post by Razor7Music » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:52 pm

Razor7Music wrote:Hi Guys--

Looking forward to seeing many of you again in November!

I just got to work and I'm trying to hurry and find the mentor lunch sign-up info and can't seem to. If it's been released, can someone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,
Hmm, guess the sign-ups aren't out yet? :-o
Thanks,

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:04 am

They aren't out yet. It will happen soon, though, I'm sure.
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:09 am

Russell Landwehr wrote:They aren't out yet. It will happen soon, though, I'm sure.
Thanks Russell!
Thanks,

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:23 am

I thought we don't sign up until we get there? First come first serve I believe it reads.....

I was wondering more about obtaining the Bio's of the mentors. Do any of you Rally rats from previous years know whether we can access Bios before the rally or if we receive them at Registration Nov. 5th?

Also, curious: how many taxi members typically attend the Rally each year?

Can't wait to meet you all,
Les

Razor7Music
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Razor7Music » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:23 pm

LesSampou wrote:I thought we don't sign up until we get there? First come first serve I believe it reads.....

I was wondering more about obtaining the Bio's of the mentors. Do any of you Rally rats from previous years know whether we can access Bios before the rally or if we receive them at Registration Nov. 5th?

Can't wait to meet you all,
Les
Hi Les

Not for the mentor lunches. There is a little extra fee to attend those and you have to sign up ahead of time as it fills up.
Thanks,

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:58 pm

LesSampou wrote:I thought we don't sign up until we get there? First come first serve I believe it reads.....
yes, you sign up on Thursday November 5th. Which means usually the line up starts before noon and people wait all day to get their registration packets and then go down the hall to choose their mentor slots at what is it 5 or 6pm?
LesSampou wrote:I was wondering more about obtaining the Bio's of the mentors. Do any of you Rally rats from previous years know whether we can access Bios before the rally or if we receive them at Registration Nov. 5th?
they distribute them before the actual Rally so you have usually at least a week to read up.
word is +/- a couple thousand. I think one year there was almost 4k.
LesSampou wrote:Can't wait to meet you all,
Les
likewise!

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:48 am

Ok, thanks Andy....So the mentor lunches, highly rec'd in your opinion and when perhaps do we find out the cost? Thanks so much for helping us newbies out.
L:)

LesSampou
Impressive
Impressive

Post by LesSampou » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks Razor,
Have you attended the lunches with mentors before yourself?

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:35 pm

LesSampou wrote:Ok, thanks Andy....So the mentor lunches, highly rec'd in your opinion and when perhaps do we find out the cost? Thanks so much for helping us newbies out.
L:)
OK - Two different things:

1) Mentor sessions: where you have 1 on 1 time with a mentor (usually of your choice unless you are near the end of the registration line - which is why some people elect to get to LA very early Thursday or Wednesday night, so they can be near the front of the line). If a mentor is impressed and can see a market for your music, they MAY take a CD of your material.

2) Mentor Lunches: Where there are 8-10 members seated around a round table and there are mentors that spend 10 minutes of so at your table and then rotate. The mentors may have things they want to talk about, or they may engage you in learning about what you do or both. Usually the mentor lunches are very loud (there are several hundred people in each one) and so there is some strategy to employ when picking your seat (i.e. next to a monitor usually works great - don't be timid). In years past the lunches were $35 per person per lunch, which got you an omnivorous or vegetarian entree that are always tasty, and the chance to make some connections with mentors, or other members sitting at your table, or in the very least learn a little from the mentor. The Mentor Lunches I believe are usually Friday and Saturday - I have done at least one each year.

Both highly recommended in my view, as that's two of the reasons to go to the Rally - to make connections, and to learn.

However: try not to get tunnel vision and think that you are only succeeding if a mentor takes your music. If you are in this game for the long haul (which for most is the way to succeed) then you will be to a bunch of Rally's and industry events over time and its repeated time with some of these mentors that will eventually lead to you having a chance to work with them. It also takes some time to learn who people are, and what they do. On the first Rally the amount of people and information is a little blinding. Everyone has a different path.

Connecting with other composer / writer / performers is one of the most powerful things about the rally, and meeting the other members at your table is great too (as long as you aren't talking over the mentor - as that is another issue as it is hard to hear in the lunch - its just loud).

HTH