Frequent Breaks (Thanks Rob Chiarelli)

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Frequent Breaks (Thanks Rob Chiarelli)

Post by Russell Landwehr » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:17 am

I had the great fortune to sit next to Rob Chiarelli during the second Mentor Luncheon at this year's Rally.

One of the gems of advice I got from him is about frequent breaks. He told how he will work for 40-45 minutes, then take a 15-20 minute break. This -of course- causes some concern for his clients, some who think since they are paying him he should have his nose to the stone.

Rob said that during his frequent breaks, he will step out of the studio and watch the news, have a snack, take a stroll... whatever gets him away from whatever he is working on. Rob's breaks are what helps him give his best when he is IN the studio. The breaks refresh/reset his mind and gets his ear-brain out of the myopic concentration of studio work.

Today I started doing this. Work for 40-45 minutes then take a break to fold laundry, change out of my pajamas, post on the forum.... I must say, today's composing session is going swimmingly.

Thanks, Rob Chiarelli

Warmest Regards
Russell Landwehr
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Frequent Breaks (Thanks Rob Chiarelli)

Post by funsongs » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:23 am

Thanks for passing along that 'nugget'.
A similar admonition I heard awhile ago goes something like -
"Ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life."
A little bit of a twist, but likely will also produce better results (than panic)! :shock: :? 8-)
Good stuff, Amigo.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

pike
Impressive
Impressive

Post by pike » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:56 pm

Hi Russell, nice to meet you at the RR.

That is some great advice from someone who knows! I tend to not do this because I think I'm wasting time, but in the end, taking frequent breaks probably keeps your mind fresh.

MarkDoyle
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by MarkDoyle » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:30 pm

Good advice for us all,Russell!

Thanks

Mark Doyle

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:50 pm

Really didn't need the visual of you changing out of your pajamas but good points! :)

And I'm sure folding laundry is a great way to win extra points with Kim!

:D Casey

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by deankripp » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Thanks for posting this Russell. Good to know the master (Rob C.) does this.

I have been doing it for years and also teach it in my class as the best way to become what I call, "your own collaborator."

Just that little break - and go do whatever - (I often just get on Facebook, or Twitter or check the latest news/weather) totally refreshes one's ears and gives a great new perspective when you hop back into the studio to work.

I call it my "collaborator" because in that 15/20 minutes that I left the studio my mind becomes engrossed elsewhere and I actually often "forget" what I have been working on in the studio.... which is GREAT. That way when I return and hit play, it sounds completely new to me and I can instantly see (hear) what needs to be fixed/added/subtracted.

I also think it's a great way to write songs although the "breaks" can be quite a bit longer. Sometimes I will "sprint write" songs. What I mean is I will write 10 or 20 songs (verse/chorus only) in a two week period and just record them with guitar or piano and vocal on a hand-held recorder. No edits.... just creative flow.

I will then put them away for four to six weeks and work on other stuff. After that allotted "break" time of 4/6 wks. I will go back and listen through to each song. By this time I have totally forgotten them so I am in essence much like a "collaborator" hearing someone else's songs for the very first time. This process really helps me immediately identify which songs are worth working on and what I may need to do to take them to the next level...

I'm babbling....

anywayz - thanks for posting. Always nice to know you are doing what the big guns do ;-)

deano k

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:18 pm

Russ, you've put your finger on why I charge by the finished minute, when mixing/mastering. It's easy to go down a rabbit hole of trying to make everything 'perfect', and losing perspective can be expensive. (don't ask me how I know, ;) )

Also, I reckon it's time to admit that I mostly post here, when on break from something else. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:49 pm

Wise advice. I have a rule that I'm not allowed to mix immediately after composing... maybe a rough setting of volume and panning, but nothing else, until I've slept on it. Without the breaks, your ear hears what you think is there instead of what is there.

Also I've gotten to the place with a track where it feels like nothing is working, it's a piece of crap, who am I kidding, I'd be ashamed for anyone to hear this sh...t... and tossed the whole thing, keeping only the mp3 in case later I might find something in it that could be of use. Listening to the mp3 a few days later... I'm like 'oh my god I was so close I just needed to.. x y z'...

after doing that a couple of times I decided I'm not allowed to throw anything away until I come back after a good break ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

guscave
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by guscave » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 am

I remember hearing this technique many years ago and I didn't pay much attention to it until I began doing about a year ago. It makes a big difference in my mix. My problem however is that sometimes I get so into the work that an hour will go by and I haven't taken a break. I guess it's something I have to get use to doing more regularly.

russellnollen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by russellnollen » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:12 am

I'm remembering that this is how we used to perform live way back in the bars/clubs with rock/cover tunes bands. We'd hit the stage at 9:00, play until 9:45, take a break, be back on stage at 10:00, take a break at 10:45, return for the third set at 11:00, etc. If I recall, these were musician's union policies. It never occured to me to use that work routine in the studio. I'm going to give this a try. I'd like to hear how others are working this in the future.