Going from Studio One to Logic and not liking it so far

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Going from Studio One to Logic and not liking it so far

Post by lesmac » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:31 am

If I was learning a new DAW I'd make a list of all the keyboard shortcuts I know in my old DAW and identify other necessary functions in my workflow.
I'd then find the corresponding shortcuts/commands for the new one and print them up in large font and place them where they are easily seen.
I still have 4 pages of Pro tools commands taped at eye level in the studio after a couple of years with it.
I don't care if it looks noobish.
I can vouch for the Mac Pro videos and Ask video as well as Youtube which has snippets of the paid for vids as well.

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Going from Studio One to Logic UPDATE

Post by TimWalter » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:02 am

Not to revive an old post, but I guess that's what I am doing.

Interesting how things change.....

I had to learn Logic and Protools for a month long course I took in February, and part of it was all the shortcuts (we were quizzed on memorizing short cuts, etc)., and a bunch of other stuff...

So now I use Logic and Protools pretty much exclusively, and they now both feel like "home", each has their strengths...

Just the other day I went back to an old session that I had done back in the Studio One days, to tweak it for a new submission (making a song with vocals into an instrumental for a current listing)... I found myself very dissatisfied with Studio One and wishing I was working back in Logic on this song.. but didnt want to take the time to export all the stems, just wanted to get it done.....

I am chuckling at myself... and my previous rant against Logic.... glad to see this old dog can still learn new stuff and adapt.. to some extent.

Tim
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:58 pm

Hey Tim, sounds like you had a steep but enjoyable learning curve. The course and experience you got sound pretty awesome.

Good on you for backing yourself and stepping out into unknown territory.

cardell
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cardell » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:22 pm

I love Studio One!

Prior to changing over, I was a Cubase user, right from version 1.0 on the Atari. I thought it was so magical to have a computer screen, after the Roland units I had been using..Lol!

Bottom line is: Whatever you're comfortable with is the right one for you.

Stuart
Cardell Music
Image Image
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix

jnmorrison
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jnmorrison » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:35 pm

Just a case of "gotta learn your tools".
I find Logic more intuitive and easy to use than any other software.
But that's probably because I started with Garage band, then upgraded to logic 8 then 9, then logic pro 9.

Keep at it...it definately gets easier.
=)

sansharbour
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by sansharbour » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:18 am

I got Logic X a few years ago
So for a few years I have been going to the what I call the University of Sound
Researching and learning like crazy about what Logic does and how I can get it to do what I want it to do.

I know a heck of a lot more now then I did those few years ago now Logic feels like a friend. I am feeling comfortable with it
Give it a chance because It will be what ever you think it is .
They have added so much new stuff in the last couple of years and that's a great thing.

I need it to do what I want and so I say to you ....Ask yourself what You want it to do ......figure out how to do it

Good Luck

Don

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:54 pm

I've been using Logic for many years (with a few years off for Digital Performer) and to me it's like a major city: it has many neighborhoods, some good and some bad. There are amazing new buildings and parks, but there are also dysfunctional areas, some of which used to be a lot nicer. And you can go your whole life and not really know, or need to know, the *whole* city.

It's very powerful and does so much, but when they update it and add new stuff (usually killer-new stuff), seems like they break something else, or neglect to fix some longstanding bread and butter issue that makes you curse every day. Oh well, I also use Traction more and more, and that's fun.

I kvetch because I care