Funky Urban Instrumental for $150k Ad Campaign

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PamJ

Funky Urban Instrumental for $150k Ad Campaign

Post by PamJ » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:46 am

Anyone else having a go at it?

I'm a little confused about what they're looking for.

1st part: throwback feel, then 2nd part: remix feel
References: De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest/DJ Shadow

So does it start off with a De La Soul type sound and then evolve into a modern sounding remix?

Or does it start off with something even more throwback-y and then evolve into a De La Soul sound?

:?

The Listing:

NEW LISTING -- FUNKY, URBAN INSTRUMENTALS are needed for a $150,000 placement in a new Ad Campaign for a global beverage brand. We’ve got permission to give you the exact description given to us, which we think will give you what you need to know. Some musical references are near the bottom of this listing.

Quoting the source: “Have a last-minute rush search. We’re working with a beverage brand for a new product launch spot. The product is all about being natural so the music has to reflect that. They tend to lean on the organic side with regards to instrumentation. The new product will be a more health-conscious version of the original product.

Track-wise, what they’re planning to do is have a song play for the first half of the spot and then for the second half of the spot, the song should be remixed (alternatively, it can be one track which has a definite ‘change’ in it where it goes from a simpler sound to a bigger one). They’re looking for a song that starts out with something that is or feels like a throwback song then breaks into a ‘remix’ (i.e. beats added etc.). It doesn't necessarily have to be an actual remix but needs to have a ‘remix’ type of feeling.

This spot is part of a series of 15 second spots - great product shots and some text that reflects the message. For this one it says, ‘Like your favorite song. Remixed with a tasty breakdown,’ so the music has to reflect this idea. It needs to be more on the organic side of things, feel ‘natural,’ but have that ‘remix’ feeling too. This could include record scratches or something to give it that feeling.

Some of the references we have are in the world of De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest/DJ Shadow. These artists tend to use organic sounds, have that funky vibe, but also feel more positive than some more abrasive electronic remixes. They’ve asked for tracks, which are potentially recognizable, but we want to get them some indie artists as well in case there’s something you have that is totally on point. As a quick heads up, the target is males/dads, 18-49 (mid 30s is sweet spot) - college educated, makes healthy choices, not perfect but tries hard, doesn’t take himself too seriously, real, relatable.

Need instrumental-only at this point.

Things to stay away from: anything that feels overly electronic/dance and anything too abrasive.‎

Rights-wise, here’s what we’re looking at: Term: 6 weeks

Media: TV (limited to national cable), Internet, Industrial/cinema, archival, PR

Territory: US and outlying territories (internet technically worldwide)

Budget: approx. $75K per side (potentially a little more if client loves a recognizable track), most likely a bit less for unknown artists

Exclusivity: non-alcoholic beverages As the client was supposed to ship yesterday, if you could get us your best stuff (quality much better than quantity!) as downloadable mp3s as soon as possible that would be aweeesome!

Also, since time is so short, please don’t send any tracks which have more than 2 – 3 rights holders attached.”

Everything you just read is a direct quote, with only a couple of commas added by us for readability!

TAXI Tip: When they say, “approx. $75K per side (potentially a little more if client loves a recognizable track), most likely a bit less for unknown artists,” that means $75,000 will be paid to license the composition, and another $75,000 will be paid to license the master recording, which equals $150,000 in total!

Our experience is that unknown, indie artists will often get less than a well-known artist, but no matter how you slice it, this looks like it will have a really nice payout! This request came from a publisher, so they’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. The upfront creative fee will be split 50/50.

Take a listen to the references below to get a general idea of what they’re looking for:

“Electric Relaxation” by A Tribe Called Quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHRnvjCkTsw

“It’s Like That” by De La Soul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcsd5llxaPI

“This Time (I’m Gonna Try It My Way)” by DJ Shadow: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5iF9J5eu0I

NOTE: Although the references have vocals, they’re ONLY looking for Instrumentals for this pitch!

Full-length Instrumentals are fine for this pitch. Tracks with easy edit points will work best. Faded endings are okay for this pitch. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced songs or artists in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Also, please do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). You must own or control your Master and Copyright to submit. Please submit one to three Instrumentals online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis by a TAXI screener handpicked by the listing company - No full critiques. All submissions must be received no later than NOON (PST), on Monday, December 7th, 2015. TAXI #U151207UI

PeterD
Serious Musician
Serious Musician
Location: Formerly Somerset/Swansea, MA ... Currently, San Jose, CA

Re: Funky Urban Instrumental for $150k Ad Campaign

Post by PeterD » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:59 am

Yeh, these are a crap shoot. Anticipate the client changing their mind a few dozen times, so who knows.

Lots of time to devote, for incredibly poor chances of winning. By all means, take a chance, but just be aware. The stakes are off the charts - high, and many times the client is looking for their perfect music in multiple areas.

Taxi may accept 300 entries.
Maybe 15 might get forwarded
Those forwards go into a giant pile of GREAT MUSIC (maybe several hundred deep)
And 1 wins

In my opinion, write what you're good at and shoot for libraries and direct to supervisor listings that will want multiple pieces for multiple placements. Much more realistic.

Good luck!!!
8-)
If I log off, I may never be able to get back on ;)

Peter D'Angelo

http://www.taxi.com/peterd
https://soundcloud.com/moanakeiki

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:21 am

PeterD wrote: Taxi may accept 300 entries.
I'd say Taxi will get 800 or 1000 submissons perhaps loool ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:28 am

so ...

$150k = largest $$$ I've seen so far!

"Have a last-minute rush search"
umm OK. With that budget?"

"This spot is part of a series of 15 second spots"
so 7.5 sec for throwback and 7.5 sec for remix?

and by the way the breakdown is the second part in this thingie?

haha

and that's just the tip of the iceberg?
was this written 4:30 in the morning? :lol:

or am I just thick?
looks like the vaguest listing so far had the largest $$$
should I just cut my toe nails instead? :D

CharlesLorenMusic
Active
Active

Post by CharlesLorenMusic » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:39 pm

I'm definitely taking a stab at this one... funky instrumentals describes my hobby during my entire high-school era!
PamJ wrote:Anyone else having a go at it?

1st part: throwback feel, then 2nd part: remix feel
References: De La Soul/Tribe Called Quest/DJ Shadow

So does it start off with a De La Soul type sound and then evolve into a modern sounding remix?

Or does it start off with something even more throwback-y and then evolve into a De La Soul sound?
My guess is that it breaks down into a De La Soul sound. Especially since Tribe, De La and Shadow are all known for taking old throw-backy samples and remixing them into funky hip-hop beats. Also, the listing wants a somewhat natural instrumentation and to avoid electronic/abrasive dance sounds... which is what most modern instrumentals sound like today.

CBOHN
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CBOHN » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:53 am

I gave this one a shot, if for no other reason than to stretch out and try something different. I couldn't quite tell how modern they wanted the remix section, so I started with a DJ Shadow vibe and then updated to something more contemporary and bright. It was fun!

https://soundcloud.com/cbohn/parking-tickets

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:26 pm

The listing provides a ton of detail from the customer, but even so it is still so subjective it's really hard to know what they want/like. I took a different approach and submitted a single 15-second clip with a pretty big musical difference between the two sections. Who knows... i figured I'd go for this one since I didn't bother with the $150k beer commercial a couple of months ago, And what I had in mind for that commercial was nothing close to what they selected. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:27 pm

Paulie wrote:The listing provides a ton of detail from the customer, but even so it is still so subjective it's really hard to know what they want/like. I took a different approach and submitted a single 15-second clip with a pretty big musical difference between the two sections. Who knows... i figured I'd go for this one since I didn't bother with the $150k beer commercial a couple of months ago, And what I had in mind for that commercial was nothing close to what they selected. :)
Do you know which track did the actually choose? Id be thrilled to know.. and was it taxi song in first place..

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:55 am

CBOHN
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CBOHN » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:53 am

arska wrote:
Paulie wrote:The listing provides a ton of detail from the customer, but even so it is still so subjective it's really hard to know what they want/like. I took a different approach and submitted a single 15-second clip with a pretty big musical difference between the two sections. Who knows... i figured I'd go for this one since I didn't bother with the $150k beer commercial a couple of months ago, And what I had in mind for that commercial was nothing close to what they selected. :)
Do you know which track did the actually choose? Id be thrilled to know.. and was it taxi song in first place..

I don't think the screener has finished going through the tracks. I'm very interested to see what gets forwarded and returned. Maybe they'll do a TAXI TV about this one...