Confused about " BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES" listing

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Confused about " BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES" listing

Post by HowlingUlf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:11 pm

Why does the BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES description have nothing to do with the a la songs???
They're like a collection of 80s new wave kind of, except the last one that might qualify as rock-ish?
But BLUES? :?

OK, lets disregard that and talk about what is the most important.
Let's say you have a listing where you don't find the songs sound like the description.
Are the songs provided by the library or whatever or who write the a la song list and links?
Then we can de-emphasize the capitalized "header" thingie, in this case BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES?
Or is it somebody at TAXI that compiles the a la songs?

And here is the listing:

"NEW LISTING -- BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Non-Exclusive Boutique Music Library for a bunch of upcoming projects. They’re on the hunt for Mid-to-Up Tempo Instrumental Cues that you’d find on the same playlist as acts like The Black Keys, The Arcs, Band of Skulls, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get in the stylistic wheelhouse of what they’re looking for:

“Fever” by The Black Keys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trk7P-9QDyc

“Outta My Mind” by The Arcs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcewVcjtiE

“I Know What I am” by Band of Skulls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3h17i6xEM

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumentals only for this pitch. Please submit well-crafted Blues Rock Cues with a current, edgy vibe. Your Cues should have engaging Blues-inspired guitar riffs, with compelling drums that get your feet stomping. Build your Cues around a catchy central melodic theme, and don’t waste any time getting to the red meat. In other words, short to no intros! Add and subtract layers of instrumentation as your Cues progress to add dynamics and keep them from sounding too repetitive or linear. You’d also be wise to avoid anything overly busy, frenetic, or anything that could distract viewers from a scene’s dialog. Imagine the type of music you’d hear in the background of a hipster bar, or a really cool car commercial. That’s what they want to hear!

Easy Edit Points and Non-Faded/Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes long. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced tracks in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. Writers/composers will also get a percentage of applicable sync fees, which will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. You must own or control your master and copyright to submit to this pitch. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD no later than 11:59 PM (PST), on Friday, December 11th, 2015. TAXI #U151211BR
"

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Confused about " BLUES ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES" listing

Post by mojobone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:25 pm

There are lots of these Black Keys/Indie Rock listings; they basically want rock cues that sound like Dan Auerbach. (Black Keys, The Arcs) Dan doesn't sound especially 80s or New Wave to my ear, but he also doesn't sound like Gary Clark, Jr. or Joe Bonamassa. He's raw, stripped-down and blues-influenced, without being particularly bluesy.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:31 pm

mojobone wrote:There are lots of these Black Keys/Indie Rock listings; they basically want rock cues that sound like Dan Auerbach. (Black Keys, The Arcs) Dan doesn't sound especially 80s or New Wave to my ear, but he also doesn't sound like Gary Clark, Jr. or Joe Bonamassa. He's raw, stripped-down and blues-influenced, without being particularly bluesy.
+1 - good post Mojo.

Listen to each particular sound on these refs too - the drums are grungier and roomier than an 80's new wav thing and lack the obvious gated verb. Etc.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 am

I think the basic rub here is that as musicians, we see categories in terms of the music and label accordingly, whereas buyers see in terms of genre and scene; Black Keys share producers, studios and geography with North Mississippi All-Stars, (and they play to similar audiences) so they kinda got painted with a blues brush, when they really sound more like garage/noise rock with admittedly, some blue notes. Or, maybe it's just a generational thing; the blues tradition I was raised in values authenticity and tradition and believes that rock'n'roll is simply the blues, played too loud and too fast.

Dan favors map-shaped National and Airline guitars made from a material known as Res-O-Glas; before him, almost nobody used them except slide players, cuz they tend to have fretwork bad enough to tear your calluses off. Add a dose of full-frequency fuzz from a Big Muff Pi, (or similar) big strings, high action and some open-back cabinets and that's pretty much the recipe, minus the roomy, gritty distorted drums Andy mentioned.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:01 pm

mojobone wrote:......a blues brush, when they really sound more like garage/noise rock with admittedly, some blue notes. Or, maybe it's just a generational thing; the blues tradition I was raised in values authenticity and tradition and believes that rock'n'roll is simply the blues, played too loud and too fast.

Dan favors map-shaped National and Airline guitars made from a material known as Res-O-Glas; before him, almost nobody used them except slide players, cuz they tend to have fretwork bad enough to tear your calluses off. Add a dose of full-frequency fuzz from a Big Muff Pi, (or similar) big strings, high action and some open-back cabinets and that's pretty much the recipe.....
that's pretty much how I see it. :)