Before you rant, READ THIS!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

thegajman
Impressive
Impressive

"EXCLUSIVE" Music Library Deals

Post by thegajman » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi all,

I'm a new Taxi member, so firstly I'd like to express my gratitude to Taxi for providing such a great platform for songwriters and artists to get their music heard. I haven't cracked my first "Forward" yet but I'm excited about the prospect!

I would like to ask your thoughts on "Exclusive" Music Library Deals...

From the listing descriptions of these type of opportunities, it sounds like a "deal" would effectively be "locking" a composition away in a library with no guarantees it will ever be used .. and with no financial incentive for the exclusivity. Is this correct? Some of these listings make no mention of $ and others specify tiny amounts like $200 for "buy outs" (I think that was the term used).

I'm struggling to think why anyone would want to go for such a deal. Am I missing something!?

Thanks,

Glenn

BJH

Re: "EXCLUSIVE" Music Library Deals

Post by BJH » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:51 pm

I've often wondered the same thing.

Russell Landwehr
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Russell Landwehr » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Hi, Glenn. Welcome to the Forums.

Some Exclusive Music Libraries will pay an up-front fee to sign the piece to their catalog. Others may not.

Generally Exclusive Libraries are considered to be nailing down "better" placements. However, placements from Non-Exclusive Music Libraries can also generate nice royalties.

Yes, signing an Exclusive agreement for a piece of music will lock it into an agreement (usually in perpetuity.... i.e. forever). Sometimes there may be a reversion clause... but it will probably be rare for an Exclusive signing.

The big boys prefer to sign their music Exclusive or even treat their non-exclusive signings as exclusive. And these are the composers who are successful. If you want to be successful, do what the successful people do.

Regards
Russell Landwehr
Multi-Genre Composer and Producer of TV and Film music Providing Easy to Use Cues for Every Scene

http://www.sensawehr.com
https://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home. ... l_Landwehr
http://soundcloud.com/russell-landwehr

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:25 pm

in addition to the excellent info Russell just wrote, you might find this enlightening in general on library deals:

http://www.taxi.com/transmitter/1504/kn ... lingo.html

HTH.

Cheers,

Andy

stevetwosheds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by stevetwosheds » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:53 am

I never had any joy trying to get companies to actually honor reversion clauses - one company disappeared off the face of the earth for ten years on a two year deal until the MPA tracked them down for me, helped me word a document to formally insist on getting the songs back - They STILL wanted 3 more months according to "the contract terms" - after ten years!? The contract had been professionally checked before signing, but I still ran into trouble because no-one is psychic, can see a company aren;t gonna honor the words, or may twist the meaning.

Missed two great chances on those songs only months after signing them all to one company as they wouldn;t split a deal with other publishers - Pity. 100% of nothing, etc.

Other companies ignored polite requests then eventually sold to bigger companies so now I have NO idea who controls some of my songs! Not me.

I sound like a moaning, whinging so and so but I'm not as bothered as I sound - it's just the principle that bothers me and sharing your concern if I ever get another offer - looking unlikely TBH!

Anyone got a crystal ball for sale? A WORKING one, I mean? I'll can pay up to a tenner.

Steve