Understanding Exclusive Buy Out Deals

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Understanding Exclusive Buy Out Deals

Post by Casey H » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:25 am

JHoffman wrote:I have a question along these lines that might be pretty obvious, but I just have to know for sure. When listings say, "This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You'll split all upfront sync fees 50/50, (which can be very substantial for Trailer Music). The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's share, and you'll get 100% of the Writer's share." OR
"This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 Deal. You'll get 50% of any applicable sync fees and 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 50% of applicable sync fees and 100% of the Publisher's Share on the version they pitch."

Does that mean the Library is the Publisher or that if I own the Publishing I get it?
This can be a confusing subject. Every PRO dollar is split 50% to the writer (the "Writer's Share") and 50% to the publisher (the "Publisher's Share").

100% of Publisher's Share = 50% of total collected by PRO
100% of Writer's Share = 50% of total collected by PRO

In almost every case, you are splitting PRO royalties 50/50 with the publisher. It's just worded differently by different people. Saying you will keep 100% of Writer's Share amounts to the same thing as saying the publisher will get 100% of the Publisher's Share. Some people call PRO dollars the "200% Pie".

HTH!
:D Casey