FAV Current Pop Songs?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

FAV Current Pop Songs?

Post by NaeDae » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 am

I feel like the best way to learn about writing good pop is by listening a LOT.

So, if you do listen to Pop radio a lot, what are you favorite CURRENT pop songs (meaning they're on rotation in pop radio currently)? And why?

Mine would be Roar (katy perry). It has the perfect flow and the lyrics do their job to keep the listener's attention EXTREMELY well. It also mass-appeals well as a pump-up song; while also being fitting for AC radio.

How about you guys?

joyfrost
Impressive
Impressive

Re: FAV Current Pop Songs?

Post by joyfrost » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:43 am

Ooh i love pop songs :) Roar is already three years old though! I don't know if we can call it contemporary anymore! I :shock: I love Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande. It just came out this month :) The guitar riff is sexy while the chorus is a typical pop payoff that is fun to sing. And i will admit i'm a big fan of the Biebs new album as well.. The sampled hooks in the choruses are so trendy right now

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by DesireInspires » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:46 am

"Cake By The Ocean".

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:49 am

joyfrost wrote:Ooh i love pop songs :) Roar is already three years old though! I don't know if we can call it contemporary anymore! I :shock: I love Dangerous Woman by Ariana Grande. It just came out this month :) The guitar riff is sexy while the chorus is a typical pop payoff that is fun to sing. And i will admit i'm a big fan of the Biebs new album as well.. The sampled hooks in the choruses are so trendy right now
I didn't hear the Ariana one yet, but I second the Beiber part. His new album is GENIUS.

Love Yourself, particularly, is getting a lot of attention lately; it's the most basic pop song but it's just pulled off as perfectly as possible. The lyrical hooks at the start of every line hold everyone's attention. Ed Sheeran helped with that one though.

TheElement
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by TheElement » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:13 pm

I listen to UK Top 40 radio all the time. I like a lot of whats on there right now..
Hollywood Music In Media Award Nominated Record Producer from The BahamasFacebook | Soundcloud

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:53 pm

Bieber's "Love Yourself" and Rihanna's "Work" are two of my favorite Pop songs right now.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:16 pm

TerrellBurt wrote:Bieber's "Love Yourself" and Rihanna's "Work" are two of my favorite Pop songs right now.
I heard that yesterday then RIGHT after, there was a song from 5th Harmony that said "work" a lot in it's hook and I had no idea what it was called. Someone screwed up big time putting that out at the same time as Work.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:28 pm

Something I just heard, that I like? "I Took A Pill In Ibiza" Mike Posner/ SeeB Remix.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:26 pm

Ariana is amazing. I like her song "Focus"
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

NoizeeBhoy
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by NoizeeBhoy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:38 am

What a great thread. kudos to whoever started it. Personal favs in the UK charts as of this week are Zayn Malik 'Pillow Talk', Ellie Goulding 'Army', Selena Gomez 'Hands to myself' (what a dope hook!!!!) and Charlie Puth 'One Call Away'. Others in the last few months that really did it for me were Little Mix 'Black Magic' (loving the 80's pop chic feel of the production) and Charlie Puth and Meghan Trainor 'Marvin Gaye' - the hook and lyric is simply genius with an awesome vocal from both.