Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Re: This Is A Little Bizarre...........

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Doowah,

Yes, I check my spam folder. I always get dispatch ads but never an email for forward or returns. Strange.....

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm

WeWillWriteUaSong wrote:I didn't get a response yet either. My belief is this.... just because we didn't hear back, doesn't mean they didnt already make the decisions. They just give all the forward/return emails on the same day.

Now... that being said. .. my question is this. If they didnt send enough forwards, then why can't they use a different screener this time around? Maybe some of those (close) returns may be liked by the client...or may be liked by another screener. Maybe they returned too many. .
Also, just because they didn't get enough submissions, the people who may have written good material just get bypassed and should re submit? That's a little cynical on my part but it appears to come across that way.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:08 pm

Danny wrote: Also, just because they didn't get enough submissions, the people who may have written good material just get bypassed and should re submit? That's a little cynical on my part but it appears to come across that way.
I don't see anything amiss in Taxi's process here. Part of their job is to screen and only forward to the client the tracks the screener(s) felt were on target. Based on that, they forwarded some number of tracks to the client. The client got those tracks but didn't find what they were looking for.

They don't want people to resubmit the same tracks because either (1) Taxi didn't think they merited a forward or (2) They were forwarded already and the client didn't think it was what they wanted. If a track didn't make it past screening the first time, there's no point in Taxi forwarding that track now. Their job is to only forward what meets criteria.

So Taxi is running the listing again to get a NEW batch of material.

It all makes sense to me.

My two cents.
:D Casey

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:18 pm

I would bet we get the email tomorrow. You may have gotten the forward... hey maybe I did too haha :D ..

Now if the listing party liked the forwards, but wanted more, or maybe even didn't get any forwards at all (doubtful), would it be unheard of for the client to ask to go through the return pile? I know they don't like to listen to unsolicited stuff, but that isn't the case here. Maybe the screener had an opinion about one or two "close" returns that the client won't share in that opinion... or maybe they would like one or two returns if a couple small changes were made. Now I know it's unusual....but is it impossible?

If I were the client in this case. ... and let's say for gits and shiggles out of 30 submissions, only 3 got forwarded... I MAY ask.... "would it be possible to hear some of the "close" returns?? Maybe we'll dig it..." Maybe I'm just being silly...the process works fine obviously...and maybe we even both got forwards and really it won't matter.... but I do agree with you. Just running the listing again, especially with the same screener - would yield similar results....meaning few forwards..

..my two and a half cents
Last edited by WeWillWriteUaSong on Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 pm

It would probably be better to let Taxi answer this.

I do know that different clients set the "bar" at different levels. Some say up front they only want Taxi to send the very cream of the crop (high bar). Others middle or occasionally low bar. So if this client only wanted what Taxi screening felt met the "bar", they might not care about the return pile. I'm speculating, of course.

Anyway, hopefully Michael will pop in and shed more light.

Best

Cruciform
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Cruciform » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:40 pm

WeWillWriteUaSong wrote:If I were the client in this case. ... and let's say for gits and shiggles out of 30 submissions, only 3 got forwarded... I MAY ask.... "would it be possible to hear some of the "close" returns?? Maybe we'll dig it..." Maybe I'm just being silly...the process works fine obviously...and maybe we even both got forwards and really it won't matter.... but I do agree with you. Just running the listing again, especially with the same screener - would yield similar results....meaning few forwards.. I say...with the re-listing... the least they can do is choose another "trailer-style" screener.. just in case...

..my two and a half cents
That's an optimistic take on the situation. I don't know which company this is, but looking at the ref tracks and the listing, "nearly close enough" is not going to cut it. They want to be blown away. Trailers are part of multi-million dollar advertising campaigns. They don't want something that's border-line good or generic. They want fresh, exciting, absolutely top-shelf.

The cues in these trailers are by composers who are at the top of their game and often with big budget production for the music. Working from a home or small studio with samples means you have to fill a lot of quality shoes to meet each level of the bar: writing, recording, producing, mixing and mastering. Most trailer libraries will take care of mastering, and sometimes mixing and recording (depending on their production budget) but you still have to wow them with the cue in the first place.

I don't want to discourage anyone, but if you want to play in this pool you have to understand who else is swimming.

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Well said.. and I definitely wasn't complaining or anything. Mine was my first go for a listing like this so I wasnt exactly holding my breath. But based on how things usually go I'd think tomorrow the email should come. I didnt mean to get off on a tangent was just following a hypothetical thought based on the thread. I trust the TAXI process very much :)
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:28 pm

Perhaps people could post the tracks they feel are worthy of forwarding, in Peer to Peer, or in this thread? Perhaps some of the veteran trailer composers here might hear something that the screener(s) caught to prevent a forward? There are some amazing trailer writers on the forums.

I happen to agree about not hearing back. If the client has said they did not receive enough quality listings, that means a) They have already received forwards, and b) the other submittals were not forward, a.k.a. returned. In both cases, shouldn't Taci members have received notification of the thumbs up/down? It's probably just a matter of notification lag, but it would be good to get this cleared up nonetheless
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:53 am

Paulie wrote:Perhaps people could post the tracks they feel are worthy of forwarding, in Peer to Peer, or in this thread? Perhaps some of the veteran trailer composers here might hear something that the screener(s) caught to prevent a forward? There are some amazing trailer writers on the forums.
Paulie,

The whole essence of the thread was that we never even received a disposition on the original posting but the client wants more. How would we know that they weren't worthy of a forwarding?

Not trying to sound like a wiseguy :) :) . There could be a glitch here. Nobody is perfect, especially not me :D .

BTW, the new listing states there wasn't enough material for the first listing, not QUALITY material. That makes it even more confusing :? .

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:37 am

Danny wrote: BTW, the new listing states there wasn't enough material for the first listing, not QUALITY material. That makes it even more confusing :? .
My strong guess here is they meant to say FORWARDED (e.g. "Quality" as you said) material. Remember, the only material the client gets is what was forwarded so "not enough material" would have to imply forwarded material.