Impressed with my first full critique for returned tension.

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Impressed with my first full critique for returned tension.

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Wed May 25, 2016 12:32 pm

My second return for tension, and it wasn't Dispatch so my screener was able to give a long critique.

This is actually my first full critique and I'm very impressed with it.

I got 9s on production and engineering -- thank you for that!

8s on targeting what the listing asked for -- I used a somewhat overused melodic motif. Hear you on that.

Also, my cue was more horror than action hero suspense. And too static.

These are the types of mistakes that newbies make. Write, submit, REMIX and forget!

My returned cues are "Stalker" and "Nightmare come true" on my TAXI page.

I don't mean to sound like a glutton for punishment but the returns ARE as meaningful as the forwards for me! I want to know how to do this right!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Impressed with my first full critique for returned tensi

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 25, 2016 1:17 pm

Which listing was this for?

I could hear them matching this type when another comes along:-

U160515GH

SIMPLE GHOST-HUNTING Style UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a busy and extremely active, Non-Exclusive Music Library that’s actively building multiple new Instrumental Catalogs. They’re hunting (yes, pun intended) for suspenseful, tension-filled, Down-to-Mid-Tempo Underscore Cues that could work well for shows like (but not limited to) Paranormal State, A Haunting, Ghost Hunters International, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the music used in these shows to give yourself a solid idea of the sound they’re after: Paranormal State (3:06 to 4:10): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frp0iM-lLTg A Haunting (4:00 to 5:15): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFk3hm9tjQI Ghost Hunters International (6:41 to 7:20):

They both sounded a tad repetitive to me, I try to have a beginning, middle and end so it evolves along the way..shouldn't be hard to tweak them.

Mark

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Wed May 25, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks, Cosmic!

I felt inhibited because some of the tension cues I've heard are very soundscape, so I didn't want to do melodic development, just keep that simple motif.

Also, need to get a bit more confident about creating a driving baseline -- through delay? Echo? Not sure yet -- need to experiment.

OTOH, I've heard a lot of forwarded cues that are melodic and very rhythmic, almost cinematic.

One of these was a Dispatch listing, the other I forgot, but it was on the main listing section. Maybe I should have submitted for the ghost-hunting one, but I thought I would wait to get the critique.

Here's my formula for new genres: listen to forwards, experiment, attempt, REPEAT!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu May 26, 2016 12:33 am

HenriettaAtkin wrote:Thanks, Cosmic!

I felt inhibited because some of the tension cues I've heard are very soundscape, so I didn't want to do melodic development, just keep that simple motif.
I think just bring it in and out more rather than featuring it all the way through the track, or maybe play it over a different chord inversion so it feels news yet familiar
HenriettaAtkin wrote: Also, need to get a bit more confident about creating a driving baseline -- through delay? Echo? Not sure yet -- need to experiment.
Maybe try an arpeggiator for that
HenriettaAtkin wrote: OTOH, I've heard a lot of forwarded cues that are melodic and very rhythmic, almost cinematic.
I just has a return because my tension cue was too action packed / cinematic so be careful. The screener said it was a good cue for what happened AFTER the tension. Lesson learned !

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Thu May 26, 2016 7:13 am

Well, thank you for those tips, Cosmic!

My intuition teacher tells me that intuition FOLLOWS intention. In other words, you get into the flow and your individual genius comes out simply by doing, and you don't make newbie misjudgments anymore.

That's the beauty of TAXI, you get many chances to improve on every genre you try :)

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu May 26, 2016 8:11 am

Tension underscores are very interesting to me. They come quite easily, but I've had several returns. I think they are probably the most subjective of the listings because they are very mood specific. When there are no a la's provided I usually get returns because I apparently focus on the wrong type of cue from the shows I record. I've also had some returns when I matched the a la's almost exactly (due to "lack of melodic development" when there was no melody in the a la's).

It's all about mood, and the personality of the screener vs. the composer can be very different. My version of "light tension" might scare the hell out of a more innocent, younger screener. :)
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 pm

HenriettaAtkin wrote:
My intuition teacher tells me that intuition FOLLOWS intention. In other words, you get into the flow and your individual genius comes out simply by doing, and you don't make newbie misjudgments anymore.
"You must unlearn what you have learned"

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:20 am

Yeah, the melodic development thing is often what gets me on tension cues - especially when we're asked for a simple melodic motif.

In most of the shows I listen to these days, including the common references, there seems to be very little melody (at least to my ears) - more pads, bass and percussion. This seems to be true of most of the forwards I've heard in the Forums, too.

I noticed on a recent news(email)letter that there was a cut-and-paste error in one of the listings - they are quite formulaic after all - and I do wonder sometimes whether clients really are looking for a melodic motif when so many forwards seem to be more atmospheric / ambient.
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mikehamm123 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:04 pm

I like your themes very much, i would only suggest weaving in different counterpoint (such as tremolo strings or minor chords).

by the way I think intuition also follows permission.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com