Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ajhall98
Impressive
Impressive

Aiming for the Chill Target

Post by ajhall98 » Thu May 26, 2016 4:33 am

Hi All - looking for some friendly ears. Working on this tune:

https://soundcloud.com/harmonicorp/seven-loves

to submit for the following. Any and all feedback welcome - thanks in advance!!

AJ

---------

NEW LISTING -- CHILLOUT LOUNGE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a NON-Exclusive Production Music Library with a great list of placements in Film, TV, and Commercials. They're on the hunt for relaxing Down-to-Mid-Tempo Cues that could be found on the same playlist with acts like (but not limited to):

Thievery Corporation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN9tulBHr8Y

Zero 7:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tZlu4wP4pw

Morcheeba:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJQHjy9p_rk

Although some of the references have vocals, they're only looking for Instrumentals for this pitch.

Please submit laidback, cosmopolitan sounding Cues that sound like a believable Chillout artist/act, with in-the-pocket grooves and relaxing melodies. Give them Cues with a simple, yet focused melodic motif, while keeping your Cues interesting, dynamic, and forward moving by adding and subtracting various sounds and instruments as your Cue progresses. Please avoid overly busy or frenetic sounds that might sound out of place in Chillout or distract from dialog.

All submissions should be at least 2 minutes long with easy edit points and natural, non-faded, buttoned endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine).

They offer a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 deal. Writers will also get a percentage of any applicable sync fees, which will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. You must own or control your master and copyright to submit to this pitch. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, May 31st, 2016. TAXI #Y160531CH

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Aiming for the Chill Target

Post by mrdtman » Thu May 26, 2016 8:07 am

Hi AJ :)

Couple things I'm hearing. I like the section where it kind of breaks down around 1:12 but it kind staggers a little in the drums around 1:24-1:39. They seem to catch up around the 1:40ish mark. Another thing is I think it needs a more definable ending.

I like the tune, really like the overall feel and the instrumentation. Working on this listing too and posted it up for comments the other day.

Hope this helps.

DT

ajhall98
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ajhall98 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:28 am

Hi DT - thanks for the feedback! I went back and listened and I think I hear what you're talking about between 1:24-1:39. I have some ideas about how to tighten that up - mainly I think it may be the acoustic guitar that's throwing things off a bit. Planning also to think about what I can do about the ending. Will post an update soon and also check-out your tune and post any feedback in that thread.

Thanks again for the input !

AJ

ajhall98
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ajhall98 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:22 pm

Here's a revised version - re-recorded guitar, some drum and mix tweaks, etc...

Any new feedback is welcome and appreciated

https://soundcloud.com/harmonicorp/seven-loves-2

Thanks in advance!

AJ

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Sun May 29, 2016 10:49 pm

I like the melodic motif and overall feel.

The drums in the beginning intro part felt a little "in your face", and not really chill.

In terms of the mix, I am hearing too much acoustic guitar. The a las have more of a pad sound, although you can hear guitar. I think if you worked with reverb and balancing out the mix, your cue would sound closer to the a las.

mrdtman
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by mrdtman » Mon May 30, 2016 7:57 am

HenriettaAtkin wrote:I like the melodic motif and overall feel.

The drums in the beginning intro part felt a little "in your face", and not really chill.

In terms of the mix, I am hearing too much acoustic guitar. The a las have more of a pad sound, although you can hear guitar. I think if you worked with reverb and balancing out the mix, your cue would sound closer to the a las.
+1 with Henietta about the drums and mix in general. I think a good remix with blending them and the acoustic guitar more in the mix will pull it together more.

ajhall98
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ajhall98 » Tue May 31, 2016 5:12 am

Hi DT and Henrietta, thanks for your suggestions
Here are some final changes, incorporating your feedback and some other changes

https://soundcloud.com/harmonicorp/seven-loves-final

Thanks again for the help on this!

AJ

HenriettaAtkin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by HenriettaAtkin » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:01 pm

Fingers crossed!

Your piece may even cross over into indie inspirational. I just heard Robbie's inspirational guitar piece that got signed with a major library, and your cue reminds me of it.