TENSION-BASED, HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

TENSION-BASED, HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by AlCompose » Thu May 26, 2016 5:56 am

Hi Guys, Al here new to the forum, I've been writing like crazy lately and pleased to say I've had 3 tracks forwarded in April so I'm chuffed

https://soundcloud.com/alan-shelley/temptations-3
https://soundcloud.com/alan-shelley/a-p ... the-rain-4
https://soundcloud.com/alan-shelley/the-traitor-3

But I have a question for you guys more experienced in getting songs forwarded, I submitted the track Temptations'.. first track above to this listing below And it got forwarded

TENSION-BASED, HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Library with a very long list of great TV, Film, and Commercial placements. They're looking for suspenseful, Down-to-Mid-Tempo Underscore Instrumental Cues that you'd expect to hear in TV shows or films like Arrow, District 9, Taken 2, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get in the general stylistic wheelhouse of what they need: "Searching Monastery/Merlyn Is Back" (Arrow) by Blake Neely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-_zujkJifo "Harvesting Material" (District 9) by Clinton Shorter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRe7G_vaVLs "Back to Paris" (Taken 2) by Nathaniel Mechaly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxBUGiWYNH0 Please give them forward moving Underscore Cues that use fresh, current-sounding electronic elements, coupled with authentic sounding orchestral samples that create a tense, uneasy, suspenseful vibe. Build your Cue around a central melodic theme that delivers spine-tingling suspense, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation to create dynamics and forward momentum as the Cue progresses. As always, please avoid submitting anything that's overly frenetic or dated sounding for this pitch. Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes long, with easy edit points and Buttoned/Stinger endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced composers or music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for tempo, texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers an EXCLUSIVE deal. You'll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They'll get 100% of the Publisher's share, and you'll get 100% of the Writer's share. You must own or control your Master and Composition rights. Since this is an Exclusive deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit one to three Underscore Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Tuesday, April 26th, 2016. TAXI #Y160419TC

I then submitted it to this listing below and it got returned just wondering if this has happened to you guys

ORCHESTRAL TENSION-based HYBRID INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a well-connected and extremely busy Music Licensing Company for placements in TV, Film, and Commercials. They're on the hunt to find Down-to-Mid-Tempo Cues that you'd hear on shows like (but not limited to): Arrow, Gotham, Daredevil, etc., etc., etc. Please submit well-crafted Instrumental Cues that blend Electronic and Orchestral elements to help create a unique, yet mood-setting quality you'd expect to hear in the references above. Instrumentation and electronic sounds can vary, but should be focused on a central melodic motif, while layering various instruments in and out as your Cue progresses to keep it compelling, forward moving, and filled with a growing sense of tension. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes long with easy edit points and Buttoned/Stinger endings that will make them more desirable to the shows' editors. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers an EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 deal. You'll keep 100% of your Writer's share, and the Publisher will keep 100% of the Publishing. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PST), on Wednesday, may 11th, 2016. TAXI #S160511TC

(Critique)
Hi Al, thanks for sending in these two cues for consideration for this listing. The first piece, 'Temptation' is a very well put together track that has many great appealing elements going for it. The sound choices are very good and the musicality definitely grabs the attention of a listener both sonically and emotionally. Still, the cue builds up then down then into a huge sound that veers away from tension into something bigger. I believe the listing is looking for work that would sustain the tense mood throughout the piece but still keep the cue musically and sonically compelling. The second piece has some really great sounds and tonal elements but needs more of a melodic motif to totally satisfy this particular listing! Very good work indeed though Alan. Undeniable talent. Keep creating!

So just wanted to say hello and see if you guys have come across this type of scenario before, Hopefully i'll get some more tracks forwarded

Have a good one
Al

Joseph
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: TENSION-BASED, HYBRID UNDERSCORE INSTRUMENTAL CUES

Post by Joseph » Thu May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Congrats on the forwards. I've had tracks get forwarded for one listing and returned for another.

-Joseph

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Thu May 26, 2016 1:05 pm

Joseph wrote:Congrats on the forwards. I've had tracks get forwarded for one listing and returned for another.

-Joseph
Hi Joseph, thanks for the feedback.. I was puzzled because the listing are nearly identical, But then again I suppose different Listeners.. Thanks for the comment Al

josephporcelli
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by josephporcelli » Thu May 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Same thing has happened to me..The first two song I ever submitted have both been forwarded and returned for reasons that were specific to the listing. You need to follow your gut about your material...whether it fits the listing or not, and hope that your gut feelings match those of the screener...Keep making your best music, keep submitting, hope for the best (prayers and luck can help) and pay attention to your screeners' comments...that's your job as a composer.

Joe Porcelli

http://www.taxi.com/JoePorcelli

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Thu May 26, 2016 8:34 pm

Potential issue here, not musical: Both of those listings are Exclusive. I guess it would be a good problem to have if both libraries contact you. Perhaps they are the same library? Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Thu May 26, 2016 9:49 pm

I think that every listing is different (assuming in this case that these are two different libraries, which I don't know for a fact). So not only are screeners different, but the more specific instructions given to the screener(s) can be different - for example, the bar might be higher on one than on the other; or one client might have less flexible criteria, or they really stressed A or B, or are known for preferring X, etc. So even if the general criteria in 2 or more listings sound functionally identical, the clients aren't identical.

Taxi typically gives very good customer service to us members; so you just know that they give good service also to their clients, especially including tailoring the screening process to a fine degree.

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Fri May 27, 2016 1:29 pm

josephporcelli wrote:Same thing has happened to me..The first two song I ever submitted have both been forwarded and returned for reasons that were specific to the listing. You need to follow your gut about your material...whether it fits the listing or not, and hope that your gut feelings match those of the screener...Keep making your best music, keep submitting, hope for the best (prayers and luck can help) and pay attention to your screeners' comments...that's your job as a composer.

Joe Porcelli

http://www.taxi.com/JoePorcelli
Hi Joe Yeah the problem is you start to doubt yourself... and that's not good in this game, onward and upwards

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Fri May 27, 2016 1:34 pm

Paulie wrote:Potential issue here, not musical: Both of those listings are Exclusive. I guess it would be a good problem to have if both libraries contact you. Perhaps they are the same library? Good luck!
Hey Paulie, Yeah I noticed that about the exclusive part.. I remember when i had signed up about 8 years ago for a couple of years they used to say if you've submitted to xxxxxx don't submit to this listing, I wonder have they stopped doing that ?

AlCompose
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by AlCompose » Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 pm

jonnybutter wrote:I think that every listing is different (assuming in this case that these are two different libraries, which I don't know for a fact). So not only are screeners different, but the more specific instructions given to the screener(s) can be different - for example, the bar might be higher on one than on the other; or one client might have less flexible criteria, or they really stressed A or B, or are known for preferring X, etc. So even if the general criteria in 2 or more listings sound functionally identical, the clients aren't identical.

Taxi typically gives very good customer service to us members; so you just know that they give good service also to their clients, especially including tailoring the screening process to a fine degree.
Hi Jon, Yeah I know what your saying.. you don't know whats happening behind the curtain as in requirements that is... A bit like the wizard of Oz :lol:

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Fri May 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Congratulations on the forwards Al!

Just chiming in to say that yes, I had one cue that had been returned twice and one returned once, but since I had submitted them to the latest tension cue listing, I decided to let them ride. And they were both forwarded this time! But I'll probably retire those two from submitting since they seem to be hit or miss.