Pitching directly

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Pitching directly

Post by NaeDae » Sat May 28, 2016 6:48 pm

I have a friend from school who's possibly going places. He has a manager, and he's said before that his manager is really picky about what he 'puts out there'. Basically I wanna know how I should pitch a song to him; should I just have him record a demo and send it to his manager? How do I keep myself from getting the song stolen or something? Is it ok for me to put another version of the song on the internet somewhere?

Anyone have any idea about this stuff?

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Pitching directly

Post by hummingbird » Sun May 29, 2016 12:44 am

NaeDae wrote:I have a friend from school who's possibly going places. He has a manager, and he's said before that his manager is really picky about what he 'puts out there'. Basically I wanna know how I should pitch a song to him; should I just have him record a demo and send it to his manager? How do I keep myself from getting the song stolen or something? Is it ok for me to put another version of the song on the internet somewhere?

First, protect your song by copyrighting the words and music with the US Library of Congress.

Second, your friend is the artist. If he's interested in recording a demo of a song to show to his manager, then that's cool. If not, then be respectful and let it go for now. He may be kindly trying to tell you the song isn't good enough or, that he's not comfortable pitching a song from a friend to his picky manager, or that he doesn't want to rock the boat at this early point in his career by suggesting something his manager might not like.

I would wait to post the song anywhere until you've figured out the situation. If it is to be used they may want to have certain rights and not have the song broadcast somewhere already.

That's just my take on it.
HTH
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun May 29, 2016 4:48 am

If I might offer my view on this (but please take it as simply one opinion)...........

Imagine yourself in that position where you are at the very start of great things beginning to happen for you as an artist, and you also have an experienced manager with a razor-sharp instinct for commercial opportunities. For a start, you would need to defer many of the ultimate decisions to your manager and accept that he knows best how to get you noticed, promoted and brought to public attention. The old adage that you only get one chance to make a first impression is absolutely key. You can't take a chance on anything less than the absolute very best material, appearance, image, attitude, market appeal, etc if you want to poke your head above the massive blanket of immense talent that doesn't quite make it to fame and fortune. One mistake can cost you dearly and put you in an irrecoverable position. In the past, artists could afford a few 'stinkers' in the early part of their journey, but now the world moves at a much faster pace and has a much shorter attention span. Under those circumstances, would you be bringing songs from your mates to the table, or would you 'write-up' with established writers, or even source songs the best songs from those writers? Even if your mate's songs are better in your opinion, you might have to concede that to get 'in' you have to move and shake with those who are already 'in', and there can be a thousand reasons why this would help you in your early career. You might lose quite a bit of artistic input (and maybe some friends along the way), but how hungry are you for commercial success? Also, would you want another version of your inaugural song out there on the internet, possibly without your knowledge, and possibly risking your manager having to pull the song after a big investment in recording it? These things can happen, and its one of the reasons why many artists will simply reject all unsolicted material, no matter how many CDs or mp3s they're given or sent.

To me, the best artists are just that...artists, who retain their artistic integrity through all the business and commercial demands of the industry that they need to meet. 'Manufactured' stars are more prevalent these days though, and we have to accept that. I have no idea where your friend might be in that spectrum, but you are in great position to have access to a budding star and the opportunity that might afford. Echoing Vikki though, you might have to be humble and respectful that either the artist or their manager have a different vision based on many criteria other than simply a great song. Don't stop trying though - cautiously and respectfully. Who knows, your songs might lead you to an equally fruitful career.

Just my views though, and others might see it differently.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon May 30, 2016 3:32 pm

hummingbird wrote:
NaeDae wrote:I have a friend from school who's possibly going places. He has a manager, and he's said before that his manager is really picky about what he 'puts out there'. Basically I wanna know how I should pitch a song to him; should I just have him record a demo and send it to his manager? How do I keep myself from getting the song stolen or something? Is it ok for me to put another version of the song on the internet somewhere?

First, protect your song by copyrighting the words and music with the US Library of Congress.

Second, your friend is the artist. If he's interested in recording a demo of a song to show to his manager, then that's cool. If not, then be respectful and let it go for now. He may be kindly trying to tell you the song isn't good enough or, that he's not comfortable pitching a song from a friend to his picky manager, or that he doesn't want to rock the boat at this early point in his career by suggesting something his manager might not like.

I would wait to post the song anywhere until you've figured out the situation. If it is to be used they may want to have certain rights and not have the song broadcast somewhere already.

That's just my take on it.
HTH
Is it free to have something copyrighted? And how do I do that?

WeWillWriteUaSong
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by WeWillWriteUaSong » Mon May 30, 2016 3:58 pm

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/notice.html

Here is the library of Congress online forms.

$35 for one song i believe but I usually do collections which are $55. Make sure all lyrics are typed up. Go through the instructions to make sure all forms are filled out correctly.
Marcus aka CaiNo

"Those with evil intentions or contentious thoughts are instantly vanquished. The Art of Peace is invincible because it contends with nothing."

http://www.taxi.com/wewillwriteuasong
http://www.soundcloud.com/wewillwriteuasong

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon May 30, 2016 4:00 pm

No, it's not free to register a copyright with the Library of Congress. It's $35US for an online registration.

Here's a blog I wrote a while ago,
http://wisebird.blogspot.ca/2005/12/poo ... ended.html

In this case you would copyright the Words and Music (not the Sound Recording). You can do this by uploading the lead sheet and mp3 and completing form PA
http://www.copyright.gov/register/sound.html

The cost for one song may be prohibitive but if you register a collection it becomes more money-wise.

Just a reminder, your song is copyright as soon as you put it in tangible form, the purpose of a registration is to have a registration date for that copyright.

Further note - I am not a lawyer, please read the instructions and do your research, consult an entertainment lawyer if you need expert advice ;)
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website