My jaw dropped

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

My jaw dropped

Post by burpo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:06 pm

HI folks.

I just got my return for the listing below.

My jaw dropped when I read the reason.

"Thanks for the submission.
This is a nice performance
but I didn't send it over
because the lyrics and style
are a bit too popppy and modern.
Thanks again. "

I'm curious to hear what others think.

Thanks fer lookin'.

-b

https://soundcloud.com/burpo/i-got-myself-the-lord-2

I Got Myself the Lord -

I got myself the Lord, I got myself the Lord
and I'm feelin' so much better now that I got myself the Lord

I got myself the Book, I got myself the Book
and I'm feelin' so much better now that I got myself the Book

Lordy, Lordy, times have sure been tough
But, when I think I've had enough, I tell myself

I knelt and He forgave, I knelt and He forgave
and I'm feelin' so much better now that I knelt and He forgave

I never walk alone, I never walk alone
and I'm feelin' so much better now that I never walk alone

Lordy, Lordy, times have sure been tough
But, when I think I've had enough, I tell myself

I got myself the Lord, I got myself the Lord

ORIGINAL CHRISTIAN HYMNS or SPIRITUAL SONGS with Male, Female or Group/Choir Vocals are needed QUICKLY for at least one (possibly two), $2,000, Non-Exclusive, Direct-to-Supervisor placements in a new TV Series. They’re looking for SONGS in ANY TEMPO that sound like what you’d expect to hear playing in a scene in a small town church. Your submissions can be as simple as a Piano, Guitar, or Church Organ accompanying a single vocalist, or “small-ish band” accompanying a small-ish choir. In any case, they’re looking for something that would be believable in a humble, small town church setting, and not something big and slick like you would hear in a mega-church.

Quoting our source: “Please keep the lyrics on the simpler side, nothing too busy. Songs should sound spiritual, but not overly soulful.”

Quoting the Music Supervisor: “The church is mixed-race, so something that sounds like it might be from a predominantly African American, Southern-Gospel church might not work well in this scene. Please send what you’d likely hear in a small-town, mixed race church.”

They are somewhat open to a range of ideas and don’t have specific references for us to give you for this pitch. It’s really going to come down to what sounds like it would be believable in the scene and appropriate for a small-town church. Anything that sounds too slick or modern probably won’t work well, so lean the other way without going overboard. Songs that are on the spiritually uplifting side might work better than sad, funereal style songs. Lyrics need to be simple, religious, spiritually uplifting and compelling. Broadcast Quality for this pitch would be a reasonably clean and well-balanced recording, and again, it shouldn’t sound too slick or modern. Nothing fancy, but it’s got to sound decent!

Note: The TAXI Screener has been in direct contact with the supervisor, and knows exactly what you know. She will be choosing material to forward largely based on her gut feeling as to how the song will work in the scene/setting. This may not be about choosing the best song, so much as the best song for the scene!

The estimated license fee for this placement is $2,000, depending on the ultimate use. This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights (no publishing splits), plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis a screener hand-picked by the Music Supervisor - No full critiques.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician

mikemichnya
Impressive
Impressive

Re: My jaw dropped

Post by mikemichnya » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Hey B -

Yeah, I'm with you. I hear maybe a touch of modern indie folk, but not enough to disqualify it. It might be a bit too "predominantly African American, Southern-Gospel church[y]" but it's not "poppy and modern" to my ear.

Maybe the screener would have liked it better with a church organ instead of the guitar/tambourine combo, but who knows?

What they wanted VS what they didn't want (and how I think you scored on each one):
lyrics on the simpler side, religious, spiritually uplifting and compelling BUT nothing too busy (-1: maybe a touch too busy)
Songs should sound spiritual, BUT not overly soulful (-1)
What you’d likely hear in a small-town, mixed race church BUT not too African-American southern gospel (-1)
Small-town church BUT not too slick or modern (+1)
Spiritually uplifting BUT not funereal style songs. (+1)

After a few listens, I think maybe it got returned because it's a bit too old-time bluesy and African American spiritual. I gave up on organized religion when I was four or five, but I think knowing the denomination of the church or something about the scene might have been more helpful to include in the listing.

On the other hand, if there's ever a listing for an African American, Southern gospel feel good song, this might be it! ;)
Best regards,

Michael (Amoriello) Michnya

Like Robbie Robertson sang, "take what you need and leave the rest."

https://soundcloud.com/mamichnya-1
https://www.taxi.com/members/mikeamoriello

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by burpo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, I agree. Nothing modern in there to my ear.

Thanks for chiming in Mike!

-b
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV

Long-time hobby musician

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 pm

My SoundCloud "can't find the sound" . I'm curious to hear this one if you wouldn't mind reposting?

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by burpo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:04 pm

burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV

Long-time hobby musician

Cwadroon
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Cwadroon » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:44 am

Beautiful piece burpo! Yeah.... my jaw would've dropped as well.... great work, and I thought it fit the listing as it was written as well.. thanks for sharing bro!

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by burpo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:01 am

Hey Cwadroon! Thanks, man!

Best to ya!

-b
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV