We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

burpo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Ears for Ambient

Post by burpo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:31 am

Howdy folks.

Here is an ambient track, one of my two firsts.
I have it in mind for the listing below.

Any reactions would be great.

Thanks!

-b

https://soundcloud.com/burpo/storm-on-mars

AMBIENT SOUNDSCAPE INSTRUMENTAL CUES (in various moods) are needed by a NON-Exclusive Music Library that’s constantly landing placements for TAXI members in lots of popular TV shows. Give them fresh, emotionally compelling Underscore Instrumental Cues that are in the general stylistic range of what you’d hear from composers/acts like Charlie Clouser, Explosions In The Sky, Trent Reznor and Attiicus Ross, etc., etc., etc. Take a listen to the following references to get an idea of what would fall into the range of what they need:

NOTE: Don’t limit yourself to the moods of the references below, they’re open to a wide variety of styles for this pitch!

“Far Away” by Charlie Clouser

“Axe” by Explosions In The Sky

“What Have We Done to Each Other?” by Trent Reznor and Attiicus Ross

Give them dynamic soundscapes that effectively deliver a textural display of instruments that blend in and out of each other to create a unique piece of engaging underscore. You’d be wise to stick to a singular mood throughout the entire Cue so your submission is cohesive from top to bottom. Give them Cues that convey one emotion throughout, whether it’s exploratory, mysterious, wondrous, or even a bit scary.

All submissions can be anywhere from :60 Seconds to 2 minutes length. Non-faded endings with a natural decay/ring out are recommended. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine).

This Library offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE 50/50 split deal. You’ll split any applicable sync fees 50/50, and keep 100% of the Writer’s share. The Publisher gets 100% of the Publisher’s share. You’ll keep 100% of the original version. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Please submit one to three Instrumental Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis. No full critiques.
burpo
Stephen Debonrepos
"Flufferpuff" on TAXI TV
http://www.taxi.com/burpo

Long-time hobby musician

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Ears for Ambient

Post by hummingbird » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:45 am

Hey Stephen - in listening I am getting the feel that there's a little too much movement... I would suggest, at the beginning, where you have that little swish coming in, to delete every second one, and perhaps the same with any other little sound you have weaving in and out - make the intervals longer. And then I would layer strings/synths to create texture to give depth and emotion to the piece - there is a line there but it needs to be more forward & layered. I.e. "Give them dynamic soundscapes that effectively deliver a textural display of instruments that blend in and out of each other to create a unique piece of engaging underscore."

You might think of taking your piano part (which is nice) and making those same notes longer... weaving the melody with your strings/synths to create the ambient mood of mystery/awe which they seem to represent. So play the melody with strings layered in different octaves, adding counterpoint harmony as you weave in and out.

Just my two cents,
H'bird
Last edited by hummingbird on Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Ears for Ambient

Post by cassmcentee » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:49 am

Nice Burpo! :D
But I do think Vikki has a Clear Take on these kind of pieces
I'd follow her thoughts!
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"