Synth pop got returned, mystery for the first time for me

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Synth pop got returned, mystery for the first time for me

Post by arska » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:09 pm

Hi "collagues",

I think this is the first time during my approx 60 submissions that I really have to think why I got a return. This is the comment:

"The recording is top quality, however I felt that the cue was a bit too linear in it's progression. Returning to the opening motifs would give it a more dynamic flow"

And this is the track:

https://soundcloud.com/r2h-music/the-th ... -dont-know

I'm afraid I'm totally out of clue what was that "missing dynamic" here. At the time of 1:23 I bring in new bridge section before last chorus + also in latter repeat of last chorus I bring in additional synth. Basically every section is a different from each other and still screener 300 asks for the first opening of track to be repeated? Do you have some clarifying thoughts for me on this? In this type of genre and when listening to reference tracks I just can't get this to my head...

I have another similar listing submitted for the same track. So if I can get this, I still have time to change the track to avoid return again. Quite funny is also that I have deal with one library who said they'd love to pitch this song to synth pop opportunities so I did gave the song to them also. Well perhaps these kind of judgements are more or less personal taste type of questions and this screener for a reason or another just didn't find the track to be on-target, even how frustrating it can be to a taxi member who did put a lot of effort to make one of the best tracks during his/her career - such as me :)

This another track was however forwarded which I think is definitely less dynamic:

https://soundcloud.com/r2h-music/save-m ... e-eighties

Listing:

Y160705SP

SYNTH POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a successful NON-Exclusive Music Library with tons of TV placements. They’re on the prowl for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that are in the general ballpark of acts like St. Lucia, CHVRCHES, Ladyhawke, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get in the stylistic wheelhouse of what they’re looking for: St. Lucia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDKJ29357FU CHVRCHES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Eo84jDIMKI Ladyhawke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUwAnVX2ylc Although the references have vocals, please submit only Instrumentals for this pitch. Please give them well-crafted Instrumental Cues with a current sounding approach in terms of synths, beats, and overall vibe. Your submissions should be rhythmically compelling, with plenty of memorable melodic hooks throughout. Build your Cue around a central melodic theme, while adding and removing layers of instruments as your piece progresses to create forward momentum and interest. Good edit points and Non-Faded/Buttoned/Stinger endings will work best for this pitch. Your submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced songs or acts in any way shape or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split the sync fee 50/50. You’ll retain 100% of the Master rights, and the Library will keep 100% of the Publishing for any placements they generate. You must own your Master and Copyright in order to submit for this opportunity. Please submit one to three Cues online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Tuesday, July 5th, 2016. TAXI #Y160705SP

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Synth pop got returned, mystery for the first time for m

Post by Len911 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 am

Hello Arska,

This is just my opinion, everything seemed nice and lively, except ~ :51 to 1:40

I could expect a bridge from maybe :51 to 1:23, and then maybe a repeat of the beginning from 1:24 to 1:40 ??

:51 to 1:40 sort of slowed and stagnated, not a contrast to the theme, and sounded like it lost the theme?? Maybe that is what the screener meant by too linear and dynamic flow. Dynamic flow, would mean "no change in the flow or chord? progression", not as in dynamic volume change. Same with "too linear", probably means the same thing, chord progression didn't offer enough tension and release?? Flat planed? Anyway, just gibbering.

I didn't get the same stagnation, or too linear, or too little dynamic flow, in your other example at all, and only from a section or two in the first. hth
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

arska
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by arska » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:52 am

Len911 wrote:Hello Arska,

This is just my opinion, everything seemed nice and lively, except ~ :51 to 1:40

I could expect a bridge from maybe :51 to 1:23, and then maybe a repeat of the beginning from 1:24 to 1:40 ??

:51 to 1:40 sort of slowed and stagnated, not a contrast to the theme, and sounded like it lost the theme?? Maybe that is what the screener meant by too linear and dynamic flow. Dynamic flow, would mean "no change in the flow or chord? progression", not as in dynamic volume change. Same with "too linear", probably means the same thing, chord progression didn't offer enough tension and release?? Flat planed? Anyway, just gibbering.

I didn't get the same stagnation, or too linear, or too little dynamic flow, in your other example at all, and only from a section or two in the first. hth
Big thanks for commenting! And in fact I already did change the structure basically following your comments to see how the feel of dynamic changes. And I think there is a change to better. How do you think? Maybe the very fist section from 0:00 could be used also after bridge... Well here is the new version:

https://soundcloud.com/r2h-music/the-th ... nt-know-v2

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:46 am

So much better imo Arska!

Well perhaps these kind of judgements are more or less personal taste type of questions
Technically, they're all personal taste judgements. You could say that the screeners are experts in personal taste for their genres. Imo it is a waste of time to question or argue personal taste.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

RLam
Active
Active

Post by RLam » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:45 am

Hi Arska,

Great work on both tracks!

Listening to both "The Things..." and "Save Me..." I think that "Save Me" is a lot closer to the reference tracks both musically from a melodic and harmonic point of view and also sonically, with the synth sounds you have used. The major I IV VI V progression is on the money in terms of Synth Pop and the big saw lead with lots of reverb, fits the genre perfectly.

"The Things" is darker and the progession has slightly more of a tension vibe than a pop feel. Even though the chords themselves are pop, the melodies that are over them, make it sound darker rather than epic like the references. To me, "The Things You Don't Know" sounds more 80s than "Save Me From The Eighties" funnily enough. It has a bit of a video game feel due it's darker nature and the way it progresses.
So I think the sounds are perfect for the Synth Pop genre but musically and harmonically for this listing it could do with more modern content.

I hope that adds some value!