Kaught in Komplete Limbo

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sperljam
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Kaught in Komplete Limbo

Post by sperljam » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:33 pm

So, this might just be a sad/strange tale to read... or perhaps someone on the forum has a solution for me? :?:

I just decided to go big and start purchasing some current sample libraries. I figured strings were a good place to start for some of the dramedy & underscore cue listings I'm seeing.

I chose Spitfire Mural String Ensemble. I bought the strings library and just received the download link email. It turns out that the string library requires the full version of NI Kontakt to run. I've never owned a version of Kontakt so I'm starting from scratch. I looked it up and it's $399 for standalone Kontakt 5! So I thought, maybe they bundle it into their larger products. At least that way I'd get more bang for my buck! I found that Kontakt 5 comes bundled with Komplete. Kool.

Here's the tricky part:
Native Instruments JUST announced Komplete 11, available for pre-order, officially coming out Sept. 1. They've removed all traces of Komplete 10 from their site, so even if I wanted to buy 10, I'd have to go through a 3rd party. Not the end of the world, but why buy 10 when 11 is right around the corner... right?

So my question is this. Do I have to just sit on this string library for a month and not touch it just so I don't have to shell out $400 for the standalone Kontakt? According to the download email I got from Spitfire, it will only work with "Kontakt 5" and won't work with "Kontakt Player 5" which is the free version.

Anybody know of another way to get up and running with my new string library before Sept. 1?

Of course, it's not the end of the world... I can be patient if need be... but I know I can't submit things I've been writing with cheesy sounding instruments.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: Kaught in Komplete Limbo

Post by andygabrys » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:56 pm

my 2 cents:
I chose Spitfire Mural String Ensemble. I bought the strings library and just received the download link email. It turns out that the string library requires the full version of NI Kontakt to run. I've never owned a version of Kontakt so I'm starting from scratch. I looked it up and it's $399 for standalone Kontakt 5! So I thought, maybe they bundle it into their larger products. At least that way I'd get more bang for my buck! I found that Kontakt 5 comes bundled with Komplete. Kool.
All the NI stuff goes on sale at least once a year, but not at the same time every year, and not always for the same discount - but you can count on some kind of 50% off upgrades / cross grades etc. at some point during the year.

You have to research what is included in Komplete vs. Komplete Ultimate and whether its worth the extra money to get the bigger package for you. For me it was, but I also got is several years back when they had several 50% upgrade / cross grades so I was able to cross grade Kontakt player to Kontakt full version as I had a LASS LIBRARY ALREADY and that was $199. There was then a 50% cross grade to Complete Ultimate 8 that I think was $499. SO I ended up paying less than the full version of Komplete Ultimate but still a lot.

Code: Select all

Here's the tricky part:
Native Instruments JUST announced Komplete 11, available for pre-order, officially coming out Sept. 1. They've removed all traces of Komplete 10 from their site, so even if I wanted to buy 10, I'd have to go through a 3rd party. Not the end of the world, but why buy 10 when 11 is right around the corner... right?
again. research what is included in K11. In K Ultimate 11 there are some string and brass and ww libraries that are cut down versions of their current symphony series. I haven't used or seen what the cut down articulations are in the lite versions but it might be that you could hold off on the Spitfire strings for a bit. There are also other libraries included in the Ultimate version like Damage, which although it has been used to death by everyone still has some really useful sounds. There are a lot of other things as well in the Ultimate package.

Code: Select all

So my question is this. Do I have to just sit on this string library for a month and not touch it just so I don't have to shell out $400 for the standalone Kontakt? According to the download email I got from Spitfire, it will only work with "Kontakt 5" and won't work with "Kontakt Player 5" which is the free version.
This may or may not be reality. In the past anytime you loaded up a Kontakt patch meant for the full version in the player, you got 20 minutes to work with it before it times out and goes into demo mode. Which for a lot of things could work fine if you can work quickly and commit your MIDI to audio. Or Just save and shut down your session and reopen it - with the caveat that usually any customization you did in Kontact player would not necessarily be saved.

but I know I can't submit things I've been writing with cheesy sounding instruments.
what have you been using up to now? for pizzicato strings like in dramedy, just about any package can be pressed into service. For the other genres I understand.

kova

Post by kova » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:21 pm

You could try going to a physical music store like Guitar Center and see if they have any copies of Komplete 10 still there. It's probably unlikely, given the recent sale, but if you're desperate, it's worth a shot.

But yeah, it is annoying to have these "Kontakt only" instruments, although I did hear recently that in order to be compatible with Kontakt Player, the creators of the library have to pay a fee to NI to authorize it as such, which is probably why the Spitfire stuff is Kontakt only.

On the other hand, if you don't have Komplete, it's worth the investment, especially since you get future upgrades for half the price.

sperljam
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by sperljam » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Thanks for your feedback, guys. It sounds like I should hang in there for a few more weeks and then go for 11. I had just begun the Spitfire download when I typed my original post. I hadn't tried running it yet... so once it's done I'll see if it will limp along in demo mode for the time being.

I'm moving into Pro Tools and planning to round out my sample library stash, but I've been a Propellerhead Reason guy for several years. So, I'm using the Reason Factory Soundbank... nowhere near as nice sounding as the East/West, LASS, Spitfires out there. Reason has some strengths when it comes to electronic music, but not so much with strings/brass/ww. But, yes, in a pinch the pizz string sound in there could get by for a dramedy. Looking forward to the upgrade, though!

jadams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jadams » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:30 pm

I personally would go for the mid tier Komplete edition over just Kontakt. It comes with some great stuff. Much of it can be used for other genres that show up in listings fairly often such as tension cues, ambient soundscapes and hybrid orchestral.

artturner
Impressive
Impressive

Post by artturner » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:51 pm

I may have missed this in the earlier responses but...

I would assume if you have purchased Mural that you may qualify at NI for crossgrade pricing for Kontakt. A purchase of Kontakt would then make you eligible for crossgrade pricing to get Komplete. That was my entry path into Native Instruments.

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/p ... ade-offer/

Art

sperljam
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by sperljam » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:10 pm

In the end I got impatient & wanted to use my Spitfire library so badly... ended up buying a copy of Komplete 10 for $399.

I figured out that the "update" price of $199 would ultimately be the same as waiting and spending $599 on Komplete 11 anyway.

ActualIy, end up saving a buck & getting 10 & 11 for $598!