with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Mix Feedback - Orchestral

Post by ElMiguel » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:16 am

Hello, first time post here.

I have a tune that has been forwarded 4 times, haven't been contacted from any company/library yet though.

My suspicion is that it might have some mixing issues, so I'd like some constructive criticism on the sound/mix of my orchestral piece.

There is no compression and very little effects on this. Pretty much just reverb put on the instruments.
From what I have learned from tutorials, orchestral pieces should not have too much focus on the mixing/effects,
since orchestras usually are played live and recordings are pretty much left unaltered.

Anyway, here's the music in question: https://soundcloud.com/michael-keihl/ho ... in-despair

Let me know if something should be done in order to make it sound better. I have not panned, compressed, used limiter or anything
like that. Not sure if it's necessary, even.

Cheers!

jadams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Mix Feedback - Orchestral

Post by jadams » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Nice piece.

I'm listening at work with headphones. Given that caveat, to me it sounds like the dynamic range is a bit too limited. There are nice melodies in there that, in my opinion, need to peek out of the mix a little more.

Joel

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:44 pm

Very nice music in this track! Compositionally this is a home run.

I agree with the previous comment about a lack of dynamic range. The first break happens around 1:26, it was much needed to my ears. But it didn't last too long. The vocal samples are not quite in synch with the attacks of the other instruments, you might try sliding them backwards about 30ms or so (move them back and forth until they sound a little more tight with the other instruments.

You might try comparing this to some orchestral trailer tracks (with headphones) to get a better idea of the overall mix and volume changes. The longer I listen to this the more I like it. I really like it. :)

With some mixing work (volume automation) I think this is definitely a future success for you.

Paul
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:54 am

excellent piece indeed,
all the previous comments were spot on, and I can't but re-affirm the lack of dynamic range.
This can be achieved with volume/articulation/modulation and velocity, but I guess the main issue is that all the instruments are playing all the time, with no rest. I'd say try to balance what instruments are playing at the same time. As an example, take the wind section melody, and try a lush string playing it, and then make the wind play it but let the string do something else, or even nothing. Create ups and downs with your orchestration. You could for example build tension with all instruments paying (Tutti) and then, boom.. just a flute.
I know it has nothing to do with visuals, but look at your waveform on SC.. it could help
another thing: something weird happened @3:37-38
it felt like a hesitant break..
Another tip :)
The higher you climb, the more spectacular the drop would be
HTH,
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ElMiguel » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:35 pm

Thank you all for the feedback. I assume that by lack of dynamics it's meant that it could use more variation in volume and velocity...!?

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ElMiguel » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:28 am

edmondredd wrote:excellent piece indeed,
all the previous comments were spot on, and I can't but re-affirm the lack of dynamic range.
This can be achieved with volume/articulation/modulation and velocity, but I guess the main issue is that all the instruments are playing all the time, with no rest. I'd say try to balance what instruments are playing at the same time. As an example, take the wind section melody, and try a lush string playing it, and then make the wind play it but let the string do something else, or even nothing. Create ups and downs with your orchestration. You could for example build tension with all instruments paying (Tutti) and then, boom.. just a flute.
I know it has nothing to do with visuals, but look at your waveform on SC.. it could help
another thing: something weird happened @3:37-38
it felt like a hesitant break..
Another tip :)
The higher you climb, the more spectacular the drop would be
HTH,
Weird thing is @3:37-38 I was trying to do pretty much what you suggested: All the instruments are playing then the flute takes over and plays by itself. (With some bass instruments for support). Not sure why it sounds weird, perhaps the instruments aren't stopping soon enough.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:14 am

First of all, if it's been forwarded 4 times, my suspicion is that you are champing at the bit, and less likely there is anything wrong with the piece.

After listening a few times, and as a personal preference not much caring for canned choirs, I have to say that the further the piece got from the canned vocals at the beginning, it was some of the finest use of canned choirs I have ever heard!

I thought the dynamics were fine, I don't think that the use of a really good limiter with a classical preset would hurt it increasing the overall volume a bit.

Great piece, enjoyed listening! Kudos!
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

ElMiguel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ElMiguel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:27 pm

Len911 wrote:First of all, if it's been forwarded 4 times, my suspicion is that you are champing at the bit, and less likely there is anything wrong with the piece.

After listening a few times, and as a personal preference not much caring for canned choirs, I have to say that the further the piece got from the canned vocals at the beginning, it was some of the finest use of canned choirs I have ever heard!

I thought the dynamics were fine, I don't think that the use of a really good limiter with a classical preset would hurt it increasing the overall volume a bit.

Great piece, enjoyed listening! Kudos!

Thanks a bunch! If you have any suggestions for a good limiter, then let me know. All I have for now is the limiter that is standard with Cubase Elements, and I've had some noise issues with using it.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:12 pm

I use the Sonnox Oxford Limiter. It has a number of presets. They usually have a couple of sales per year.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:23 pm

If you are interested in the Sonnox, I just received a promotion code in my email for GBP of $50, which is ~ $65 US dollar.