Library edits

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Library edits

Post by jonnybutter » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:50 am

edmondredd wrote: The dreaded "that's what the client wants" :evil:
I hear you Jonny
If it really was something a client could conceivably want, that would, of course, be fine, but it strains credulity that a client would *want* poorly edited stingers, etc.

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:16 am

Edmond, I work with one library that requires 4 edits of each master.

They want the pieces cut up for instant use as a stinger, bumper, etc for TV shows.

There is another good side to this. If the track is Non-Exclusive, you can also submit the various cutdowns to other libraries. It is not uncommon for a client to purchase just a stinger of your track or a 15 second bumper. It happens all of the time.

BTW, on some instances when your master gets to TV, the music editor may chop it up or edit it so it fits to the scene.

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:04 am

Danny wrote:Edmond, I work with one library that requires 4 edits of each master.

They want the pieces cut up for instant use as a stinger, bumper, etc for TV shows.

There is another good side to this. If the track is Non-Exclusive, you can also submit the various cutdowns to other libraries. It is not uncommon for a client to purchase just a stinger of your track or a 15 second bumper. It happens all of the time.

BTW, on some instances when your master gets to TV, the music editor may chop it up or edit it so it fits to the scene.
That's the attitude I guess Danny: finding the positive in every situation.
I am aware of editor's cuts, but I am guessing that libraries should have a standard professional quality cue to offer to their 'clients', irrelevant of the final use..
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:30 am

Edmond,

I re-read your post. I read a little too fast and thought that you had to do the edits.

I agree with some of the other posters. Contact the lib and ask them if you can do the 30 and 60. They may actually appreciate it because it will save them time.

OTOH, the positive side is that it saves YOU time. The one Lib I mentioned to you that requres 4 diff versions from me, really cuts into my time. I could write another que in the time it takes to make quality cutdowns.

Another positive note, as mentioned, if these are Non-Exclusive, you can submit the whole tracks and cuts to other libraries. If you have 10 whole masters in a Lib, you would really have 30 tracks for sale in that Lib. People really do buy 30's and 15's all the time.