Mix/performance help on return

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Mix/performance help on return

Post by jonnybutter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:38 pm

I am ear-blind on this one, so other than some possible harshness, I can't spot what's wrong with 'Medium Rare Tango' anymore. The screener did, and I'm sure you all will be able to! Screener wasn't very specific about why 'Medium Rare' in particular was returned; comment for it was that both submitted tracks 'fell a little short of the high bar broadcast quality' needed for this listing. I understand why the other was an R, but not sure on this one.

My guess is that the arrangement has problems - that's usually the issue, no?! - but I'd love to hear what fresh ears hear. Thanks in advance if anyone has time to give a listen. 'Medium Rare Tango' on my Taxi page.

Listing:

ORIGINAL WORLD MUSIC INSTRUMENTALS in a wide range of styles are needed by a really large media company for placements in several projects, including hit cable TV shows, other shows on their own network, and online media. They’re building an Exclusive In-House Music Library, and they’re looking for World Music Instrumentals in All Tempos and virtually Any Genre. We wouldn’t recommend genres that aren’t easily identifiable as to the nation or geographical area they’re from. Those would be hard for the shows’ Music Supervisors and Editors to use. Just some of the genres that come to mind are, African, Celtic, Afro Cuban, Latin, Asian, Caribbean, Polka, French, Italian, Eastern European, etc., etc., etc. Here are a coupe of lists of World Music Genres to get you headed in the right direction: http://www.musicgenreslist.com/music-world/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... sic_genres TAXI TIP: This company can use indigenous, traditional, modern, and old school versions of the various styles. Arrangements can be as simple as a single instrument to a small band, or even a large band or orchestra like you might hear in a Cuban nightclub or in an eastern European symphony! Please submit well-crafted Instrumentals that embody the spirit of the genre that you choose to submit. Use of organic instruments will help you stand out for this pitch! They need lots and lots of music, so get creative!!! All submissions should be at least 3:00 to 3:30 minutes in length, with good edit points (when possible) and Non-Faded/Buttoned endings. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This new, in-house Exclusive Library will pay an initial buyout fee of $500 for 100% of the Composition and Master rights. On top of the $500 per track fee, you will also keep 100% of the Writer’s share of the publishing and make applicable performance income. Do not submit music that is in any other library or publisher’s catalog! Please submit 1-3 Instrumentals Online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a yes/no basis, no full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Wednesday, August 3rd, 2016. TAXI #D160803WM

jamesnorth
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Mix/performance help on return

Post by jamesnorth » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm

Hey Jon,

I think it's a really cool piece of music - the dynamics you've put into the violin and accordion parts are really nice and the arrangement is interesting, I think.

I'd say judging by the listing they were probably after super legit sounding live groups playing a region's music.

Yep, a little harshness particularly in that violin (and mix-wise it's probably a little too loud in the scheme of things), but I think because everything is a virtual instrument it's causing it to fall short of what they're talking about. Particularly the way the piano is auto-panned (most VST pianos are a bit like this and need some tweaking) it sounds like a 'forced stereo' field rather than 'miked up piano'.

Generally ones that have up-front payment and talk about organic instrumentation have this kind of standard applied.

However, I'm certain this track would work great on something like Curb Your Enthusiasm or another similar satirical comedy on TV. It would definitely past that standard's test.

Rock on.
James North

Producer, Composer, Engineer, Musician
http://jamesnorth.productions
http://taxi.com/jamesnorth

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:00 am

Hey James, thanks for listening and taking the time to comment (and also for the kind words).It's helpful!

Yeah, listening at a remove of a week or so, I do hear the harshness and overloudness of the violin. Less of it would have opened up some sorely needed space. And the piano feels small. It was a bear to mix, and I still didn't get it quite right. Agree with you about the piano.

thanks again!

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:04 am

Hey Jonny!
I listened through my monitors last nite before bed...
Really nice piece!
I thought the mix was quite nice.
I could see the return due to some of the structure choices (opinion)
The Parision feel was nice but it felt liked you strayed a little too far into orchestral and lost some of that Paris Feel.
For a cue, I would cut the intro down to 1 or 2 seconds and get right into the movement.
Your opening theme following the intro felt just right, I thought that if you had just stayed there with instruments popping in and out and kept
repeating the theme till you got to a "B" part that keeps the same feel you would of had it! (from last night's memory, foggy that it is)

Summary: Well written piece but keep it even simpler for cues!
Cheers,
Cass
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:02 am

keep it even simpler for cues!
Cheers,
Cass
Hey Cass

Thanks for listening and for the kind words!

Useful feedback, and I quoted one bit of it above, because it's something I have to remind myself a lot!

The longer intro is fairly typical of some real Argentinian tangos, and I thought at least some of that could be useful under picture (telegraphing 'Argentina!'). I've seen that sort of thing used many times on tv. Maybe it was a bit long though (:24). And things get complicated, esp. at the end of the cue, I know.

Thanks for your help, man! Very much appreciated.

Jon