Not Sure What to Do

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Phen
Active
Active

Not Sure What to Do

Post by Phen » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:58 pm

Hi All,
I've got what my be considered a "proper procedure"question. I submitted, and had forwarded, a song I wrote and my band recorded nearly 30 years ago. I submitted the only demo (cassette) I had on hand, which was not the best quality. Well I am happy to report I received an email from the A & R chap at the record/publishing company which received said demo. They specialize in finding and licensing vintage music. He said he really dug the song and asked if I had any more like it. I sent him 2 more songs from the same cassette. He said he would be in touch, That was last Monday.
Well, I immediately ripped off an email to the engineer who recorded us ( I still record at his studio) to see if he may still have the master. I was thrilled when he told me that he had found them in his attic. The master is 1 inch tape. Of course the studio is no longer set up for reel to reel situations.
I would really like to provide the best product I can. The deal (IF it goes down) is an upfront buyout. My question is: Should I contact the publisher explaining that I have found the Master reel, and would be happy to bounce fresh tracks? I would have to find a studio that was equipped to do that, of course. Or would it be better to wait for his call and tell him then. Another question I had is, if he wants to buy all 3 songs, should I offer to just send the Master?
Any thoughts gratefully welcomed.
Thanks!

Phen

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Not Sure What to Do

Post by Paulie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:03 pm

Personally, I'd wait until he contacts you. Reaching out too often may make you look desperate or annoying. At least, that's the impression I've felt from the few supervisor panels I've listened to. One of their pet peeves is not being bothered. Be thankful you have the master tapes! Or, do you have the ability to re-record it digitally? Might give you some better flexibility if he comes back and asks for some different edits.

Good luck!
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

Phen
Active
Active

Re: Not Sure What to Do

Post by Phen » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:08 pm

Paulie wrote:Personally, I'd wait until he contacts you. Reaching out too often may make you look desperate or annoying. At least, that's the impression I've felt from the few supervisor panels I've listened to. One of their pet peeves is not being bothered. Be thankful you have the master tapes! Or, do you have the ability to re-record it digitally? Might give you some better flexibility if he comes back and asks for some different edits.

Good luck!
Paulie,
That's the way I was leaning. I just didn't feel right about emailing him first. I am so thankful to have found the tapes. My engineer is willing to go to a studio that has a reel to reel setup and do whatever we need to do as far as remix. I'm pretty sure we never even mixed and mastered the songs way back then! We didn't have the dough to go back in!

Thanks for your thoughts!

Phen