New to Logic

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

New to Logic

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:12 pm

Alright, so I've used Garageband for about 2 years and just got Logic Pro X.

The two look about the same, but for some reason I can't figure out how to see the midi notes to be able to quantize them.

To be clear I already played a part, and I've already found the quantize button, but I see no lines to represent the notes I played. It doesn't make sense. I've checked that I was on the right track and everything.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: New to Logic

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Post some screen shots so people have an idea what your are seeing. It could be a few different things.

I assume you are in the piano roll editor?

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 pm

andygabrys wrote:Post some screen shots so people have an idea what your are seeing. It could be a few different things.

I assume you are in the piano roll editor?
I'm in the piano roll editor, have the region selected (I've played midi in this region already) and I see no notes displayed.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:05 pm

Are you sure you actually recorded the midi? If it plays back, then are you sure you have the track selected where the midi is actually recorded?
I've checked that I was on the right track and everything.
And you did that by soloing "the right track" and it played back just fine, the only thing is that there were no notes showing in the piano roll of that track?

What do you have selected for the midi input of the "right track"? It's possible you have the midi in selected as the midi out of another track. If that is the case, you would have to edit the midi track of the other track. Exception:

Let's say you have a midi arpeggiator plugin called "Catanya". On the midi track of catanya, you have midi chords, the input of catanya. The catanya processes the chords so that the output midi is arpeggiated notes of the chord. Catanya doesn't have samples, only midi. So to hear it, you would need a track with an instrument with samples or sounds, lets call this track "piano sounder". "Piano sounder" needs midi in to trigger the sounds. So you select midi in and choose catanya midi out. If you do not record the midi in piano sounder, you will have no notes in the piano roll of the midi track, however, when you hit play, you will still hear the arpeggiated notes being played.
Last edited by Len911 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:13 pm

Len911 wrote:Are you sure you actually recorded the midi? If it plays back, then are you sure you have the track selected where the midi is actually recorded?
Yeah I've double clicked it and spent several minutes clicking around. Is it like garageband's controls?

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:42 pm

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/65 ... 0&tstart=0

try turning link button on and off a few times? (the 2chain links graphic)

jonnybutter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jonnybutter » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:04 am

I have the same problem, often. Yes, make sure the link button is always on, although that doesn't always work (at least for me).

I find that LPX is a PITA sometimes about this. If your main window time cursor is in the area you want to edit, that doesn't always mean the time cursor in the edit window (e.g. piano roll) is at the same spot. It is supposed to be with the link button engaged, but that's still buggy in my experience. Just hit play for a moment and the time cursor in the edit window will jump to where you want it to be, and you can edit.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Len911 wrote:https://discussions.apple.com/thread/65 ... 0&tstart=0

try turning link button on and off a few times? (the 2chain links graphic)
Ah ha! Working now thanks you guys!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:31 pm

It's great to hear it's working now!! :D