Epic percussion rejects

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SteinThorSoundtracks
Active
Active

Epic percussion rejects

Post by SteinThorSoundtracks » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi all, not often I lament on refusals but the epic percussion and dramedy rejections got me steamed up to be honest.

so the listing was this

RHYTHMICALLY DRIVEN, PERCUSSION-BASED ORCHESTRAL INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a Music Library that’s getting a lot of requests for this style. Please provide them with big, bombastic Mid-to-Up-Tempo Cues that you’d expect to hear in Trailers for action-packed Feature Films. Please listen to the following references to get in the general stylistic ballpark of what they’re looking for: Wonder Woman (2017) (0:50 – 2:13): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgk_63b-Mrw Kong: Skull Island (2017) (0:56 – 1:56): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAbI4w95cTE Batman V Superman Dawn Of Justice Tribute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn2vUG4OlV8 Please submit heart-pounding, adrenaline filled Instrumental Cues that have an epic, rhythmically intense performance. They’re not really looking for melodic qualities for this pitch, so please keep your submission heavily percussion based. Your pieces should focus on the rhythmic quality, the dynamics of the drums, and the overall structure, while building in intensity and finishing with a crescendo that leads to a dramatic ending. Create a dynamic “arc” as your piece moves forward to keep it from sounding to flat or linear. It’s okay to add a little bit of orchestral or choral instrumentation, but keep any melodic additions to a minimum. Percussion…. BIG, heart-racing percussion that starts out kind of sparse and builds to a big conclusion is the way to go. Please avoid anything that sounds obviously stiff and MIDI-driven and dated samples/sounds. All submissions should be at least 60 Seconds to 2 Minutes long with solid edit points and non-faded, stinger endings. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced music in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (Great sounding home recordings are fine). This Company offers an EXCLUSIVE agreement with a 50/50 split. The specific terms of this agreement will be determined directly between you and the Library. Because this is an Exclusive deal, please submit music for this pitch that is not already signed to any other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control your Copyright and Master recording. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis. No full critiques. Please submit 1-3 Cues online or per CD no later than 11:59pm (PDT), on Thursday, August 11th, 2016. TAXI #D160811RP

My submissions

https://soundcloud.com/steinithor/sets/epic-rejects

#1 comment was Could be tighter at times. Could be more exciting and compelling for the listing.

#2 comment was Not quite engaging enough.

#3 comment was Could be more energetic and engaging.

So please let me know if the screener was right, I can take it :) But also please let me know if you think the screener was off and that these comments are bad. At least these comments do not help me at all so any additional info can help me make better music next time.

Stein

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Epic percussion rejects

Post by daveydad » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:50 am

Puzzling.... they sure sounds good to me! I basically got the same comment on the one I submitted. I mean, the drums on the Batman vs Superman reference are not that bombastic, in fact the whole piece is rather subdued in nature. Another head scratcher...

jadams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jadams » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:00 am

Nice pieces Stein. I would definitely think these good for a library listing. Especially #3.

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:10 pm

Would have been nice if the screener had said "You can make this more energetic and engaging by..." and then given some advice, instead of leaving you scratching your head wondering what to do.

Henry