Another Logic Pro X question...

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Another Logic Pro X question...

Post by NaeDae » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:49 pm

kclements wrote:I'm not next to Logic, but you can turn off Quick Help by selecting (or deselecting) it under: Help > Quick Help.

Does that resolve you issue so you can get to the plugins?
That helped out, but is there a way to get rid of the Track and Region tabs under the quickhelp?

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:55 pm

So in Logic Pro X, the "Quick Help", "Region: MIDI Thru" and "TRACK: male vocals" tabs are over where the pluggins are and I'm trying to get to the pluggins. Anyone know how?
https://youtu.be/39s2Lar0YxI?t=3m48s Once you hit i, where "audio fx" pluggin is located.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39s2Lar0YxI

There is a control bar, or navigation bar, i is the inspector. "Audio Fx" in inspector to see plugin.

I think you need to hit the i button in the control bar, same plane as the transport bar.

Also you can use the key commands.
Hide/Show Inspector i

Hide/Show All Plug-in Windows V

https://www.shortcutfoo.com/app/dojos/l ... cheatsheet
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Len911 wrote:
So in Logic Pro X, the "Quick Help", "Region: MIDI Thru" and "TRACK: male vocals" tabs are over where the pluggins are and I'm trying to get to the pluggins. Anyone know how?
https://youtu.be/39s2Lar0YxI?t=3m48s Once you hit i, where "audio fx" pluggin is located.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39s2Lar0YxI

There is a control bar, or navigation bar, i is the inspector. "Audio Fx" in inspector to see plugin.

I think you need to hit the i button in the control bar, same plane as the transport bar.

Also you can use the key commands.
Hide/Show Inspector i

Hide/Show All Plug-in Windows V

https://www.shortcutfoo.com/app/dojos/l ... cheatsheet
No that hides the whole bar. I'm just trying to increase the view of the pluggins. I'd post a screenshot but the website's still bugging out for some reason and not letting me.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:35 pm

[quote="NaeDae"

No that hides the whole bar. I'm just trying to increase the view of the pluggins. I'd post a screenshot but the website's still bugging out for some reason and not letting me.[/quote]

by default - on a Mac screen shots are .png files.

you can't upload those to this site, but you can upload .jpg files.

So open up the .png file in Preview on your mac.

choose export from the file menu.

in the Format (bottom center) choose JPEG.

save it with a name that makes sense.

upload to this site.

NaeDae
Impressive
Impressive

Post by NaeDae » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 pm

Ah ha! Thanks so much for the help and support guys, you're saving my life here.

So my questions are
1) How do I get to where I can see all the pluggin slots and the little EQ button

2) Also how do I get the tracks to not all be gray? I clicked something and now I can't hear them. Nothing's muted; I double checked.
Attachments
helpnew.jpg
helpnew.jpg (224.94 KiB) Viewed 1631 times

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:26 pm

you would do well to try right clicking (if you have a mouse) or option clicking on everything. There are lots of menus and functions that are right there waiting for you in Logic.

your screen resolution is set to a very low value, or you have a tiny screen. is that an 11" or 13" screen? If you have options to increase the resolution I would do that.
system prefs display.jpg
system prefs display.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Next I would turn on "Dock Hiding" so that you can extend the Logic floating window down to the bottom of the screen and gain more real estate to display the important things. That is also in System Preferences.

Your questions about why some tracks are gray? There is a power button on the tracks that is hidden by default. I choose to show a lot more on the track header than you have. In fact you don't even have the record enable button showing. That makes it difficult to record :)
right click track configure track components.jpg
right click track configure track components.jpg (228.83 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
right click track configure track header.jpg
right click track configure track header.jpg (203.49 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
right click track configure track header.jpg
right click track configure track header.jpg (203.49 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:29 pm

Now as far as how you get all that stuff to show up in the channel strip in the inspector - right click on one of the channel strips (also works in the mixer view):
right click track inspector to add components.jpg
right click track inspector to add components.jpg (203.64 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
and you can also customize the navigation / transport bar at the top of the screen too (and save it as a default so every time you start a new project it looks the same way:

right click top navigation bar.jpg
right click top navigation bar.jpg (252.96 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

NOTE: I am showing a bunch of things that are SO handy for production. Like the SAMPLE RATE.

I also use a primary ruler on the timeline (in bars / beats) and a secondary ruler (timecode) which is uber handy when you are making 15, 30, 60 second cutdowns of tracks for publishers. That is an option to show here:
secondary ruler.jpg
secondary ruler.jpg (170.85 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
Last edited by andygabrys on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

and in case this comes up, I hope you are using "advanced tools" which turns Logic into the fully featured program you would expect instead of not being able find some functions and it acting more like garage band:
where to find advanced tools.jpg
where to find advanced tools.jpg (174.24 KiB) Viewed 1628 times
click on show advanced tools.jpg
click on show advanced tools.jpg (234.69 KiB) Viewed 1628 times

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by andygabrys » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:42 pm

another thing to note:

I use an extensively customized template session to start all the work I do in Logic. These screen shots show a raw project not built on my template.

I found that by configuring all this stuff the way I wanted it, and then saving it as a template saved a heck of a lot of time. In my template I have about 300 tracks named, colored, various plugins instantiated and ready to go, a bunch of reverb and delay auxes, a bunch of submix masters etc etc.

Its not necessary to have your template this built up to actually make music, but there is no contest if I have to do something super fast. Because I am not starting from scratch all the time, I can crank out a fully mixed track in an afternoon.

Examine that as a starting point for the future. You don't need to start from scratch all the time.

Some people are of the opinion that "well if I use a template, all my tracks will sound the same". Possibly, but I am not setting up template stuff for instrument and vocal SOUNDS - I am just setting up a template for reverbs and stuff so you don't have to build it every time.

Think of a studio. They don't build a new console for every session. They use the same one. If the engineer favors a Lexicon PCM 96 or Bricasti reverb, its always going to be set up on an insert in Pro Tools ready to go (or on one of the send / return busses on the console). They might vary the settings and the program they use, but the unit itself is always ready to go. Same thing with a compressor. They might patch an 1176 into a different channel, but its always in the rack ready to go. They don't keep it in the machine room and bring it in and install it every time they want to squish something.

Hope that helps.