Frustrated with "melody" in ambient tracks?

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Frustrated with "melody" in ambient tracks?

Post by MattCurious » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:32 am

Hi guys

This is a classic problem, and something I keep tripping over. I had another return for this reason and was initially quite frustrated; then I realised that (having had a couple of months away from music) I'd forgotten some excellent feedback I got from Head Screener Andy (below).

I got the return on this track: https://soundcloud.com/matt_curious/dir ... ed/s-ukBVk
Which is a revised version of this track:https://soundcloud.com/matt_curious/dirty-pretty

The feedback on the most recent return was: "Track had more of a drone-like tension cue type structure and sound, rather than an ambient underscore cue with a recognizable melodic theme"

I found the return frustrating because the listing explicitly says: Give them subdued, dynamic, ambient underscore with "textural" instruments and sounds that blend in and out of each other to create a solid piece of engaging music

Rightly or wrongly, if "textural" is emphasised, I tend to read that as meaning "less melodic" - otherwise I'm not sure what the point of emphasising it is.

But the feedback I got from Andy when I challenged something similar a while back was this:

"Melody - needs a stronger melodic theme, with variations to avoid being repetitive. I have found that soundscape preferences are moving towards a more musical interpretation and away from the purely sound-design styled soundscapes, so a more definitive melody, with appropriate development/variations to avoid repetitiveness will make your cue more attractive"

I'd forgotten that when I did my revisions (which focused on the thickness of the mix).

When I went back to Andy's advice, I realised that the listings read a whole lot differently if you're reading them in light of a broader knowledge of the genre and current trends. Yes - the listing is for more "textural" tracks. But if you also know that the trend is for stronger melody, you know that "textural" must refer to the bed on which it sits.

So what's the lesson? Be on top of the trends.

And that led me to wonder whether trend-spotting is something Taxi could maybe make a feature of - maybe through Taxi TV? Or an email shot?

It could be a great way to put all the writers on the front-foot with trends etc, which seems like a good thing for everyone. (Although I emphasise this isn't intended as criticism, or that Taxi should do all the legwork - just seems like a potential virtuous circle).

Alternatively, should we make a concerted effort to identify trends in different genres on the forum? I know that for some this will seem like "giving an advantage to the competition", but there're a lot of people out there needing a lot of music...

Food for thought, anyway.

Cheers
M
-------------------------
matt-collinson.com

jadams
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: Frustrated with "melody" in ambient tracks?

Post by jadams » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:29 pm

Good idea Matt. Thanks for this insight.
Joel

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:22 pm

Cool, but how did you know who were screening?

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi HowlingUlf - I didn't know who was screening.

A few months ago I was really confused and frustrated by some feedback, because it seemed to be completely inconsistent with the listing. So I got in touch with Taxi directly and asked them to clarify it.

I've then tried to take the generalised bits of that feedback and apply it to new listings. Although, as you can see from the above, there were a couple of bits I forgot!
matt-collinson.com

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:10 am

MattCurious wrote:Hi HowlingUlf - I didn't know who was screening.

A few months ago I was really confused and frustrated by some feedback, because it seemed to be completely inconsistent with the listing. So I got in touch with Taxi directly and asked them to clarify it.

I've then tried to take the generalised bits of that feedback and apply it to new listings. Although, as you can see from the above, there were a couple of bits I forgot!
Aha :idea: OK makes sense! :)

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi HowlingUlf.
I believe Andy is the head screener at TAXI.

And Matt, every time I see "central melodic theme" or "motif" in a listing, I bold those three words and make them three times larger than the rest of the text.

Henry

MattCurious
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MattCurious » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:29 am

Hi Henry - absolutely agree. I was thinking more of the times when melody isn't mentioned, or where melody isn't mentioned and something else (like "textural") is emphasised.

Point being that the listings aren't always exhaustive, and that part of guessing what's in the client's mind is about knowing the genre and not relying on the listing for all the information.
matt-collinson.com

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:19 am

Ah, good point, Matt.

Henry