We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Mixnow3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Feedback Please-Piano Driven Tension Cue

Post by Mixnow3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:04 am

Hello,

I would appreciate any feedback on the below track for the below listing. I need to work on it more, let the piano at the end fully ring out, add a pad towards the beginning, mixing, EQ, etc. but want to make sure I'm in the ball park. This is my first attempt at a tension cue. Thanks again.

https://soundcloud.com/bill-kafka/hurry ... ix/s-3HJpg

NEW LISTING -- PIANO-DRIVEN TENSION INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful, NON-Exclusive Music Library that gets tons of placements. They’re looking for a wide range of Down-To-Mid Tempo Cues that would work well in Reality TV, Scripted Dramas, or Feature Film placements. Because they’re looking for a range of styles that could work for a variety of placements, we’re not giving references in this Listing.

That said, you can send them anything from Solo Piano, Piano as the main instrument in a small ensemble, Piano as the main instrument in an Orchestral Hybrid, or Piano as the main instrument in a piece that’s got nothing more than a cello or tension-inducing synth pad(s) under it. Get creative, but remember that Tension is the mood, they need Down-To-Mid Tempo pieces, and the Instrumental Cue needs to feature Piano as the main instrument. Follow those ideas, give them quality music, and you should be good to go!

What might play while a “Bachelorette” is waiting to find out if she’s getting knocked out of the competition? That could work!

How about a dramatic Feature Film scene in which somebody’s child has just gone missing and the freaked out parents have just realized what’s happened? Yep, that could work.

And how about a scene in a futuristic dystopian Drama when the lab team is working to find out if a virus is highly contagious or not? Yeah, now you’re getting the picture!

Your piano can be a straight up recording of a classic sounding grand, something more modern that’s steeped in reverb, or for that matter, even a great sounding electric piano as the main instrument with a pulsing, muted rhythm under it! As long as your Cue builds tension as it moves forward, you’re probably looking good!

TAXI Tip: Don’t try to score an entire film with this piece. They really need Cues that stick to one melody, mood, and tempo throughout. Add and subtract layers of Instrumentation as your Cue progresses to keep it from sounding too repetitive or linear, and avoid using anything that sounds dated, or obviously stiff or MIDI-driven.

All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length.

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Feedback Please-Piano Driven Tension Cue

Post by daveydad » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:39 am

I think it fits

Mixnow3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Mixnow3 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:04 am

Thanks David

robroper
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by robroper » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:06 pm

My only suggestion would be that you add some dissonance to one of the chords to create tension. Right now the tension comes mainly from the beat kicking in (and you should keep that).

-Rob

Onaginoffegin
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Onaginoffegin » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:32 pm

To me, the beginning with just the piano sounded more wistful than tension.
Also at around 2 minutes it becomes a bit too busy for my taste.
But good luck with it,

Henry

Mixnow3
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by Mixnow3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks Rob and Henry for the input.