Library Accepts Song And Changing Title

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

jazpno

Library Accepts Song And Changing Title

Post by jazpno » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:33 pm

One of my forwards has been accepted by a large Library and they also want to change the title. I have heard of this before but not sure how to proceed now that I have the contracts on my desk. I am thinking that I will simply pull a new copyright on the same song only using the new title. Then I will register the song under the new title with ASCAP. I already have the song copyrighted and registered under the old title. My question is... Is there any big deal about doing this, that is having the same song copyrighted and registered with two different titles. If there is a problem with this is there another way to protect my track now that it will be in the music library under a different title. Any Thoughts?
Carl

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Library Accepts Song And Changing Title

Post by mojobone » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:07 pm

If I'm understanding your post correctly, you're covered. It's up to your publisher to register the new title. In any case, PRO registration is probably more important than copyright registration, but I am not a lawyer, and your mileage may vary. Your library may prefer to register the song with your PRO; that's normally how that happens. They'd rather have it done by their paralegals than their songwriters, and who's gonna blame them?

:lol: :lol:
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

DesireInspires
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Library Accepts Song And Changing Title

Post by DesireInspires » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 pm

Let the library handle it.