Seeking recommendations for best music production computers

Tell Your Friends about Gear that you love

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CraigR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Seeking recommendations for best music production computers

Post by CraigR » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:48 pm

In about a month I will have a budget of $2500 to build or buy a new music production computer. I've seen an ad or 2 over the years from various companies, like SCAN in the UK, etc.

Does anybody know of a company that makes PCs designed just for music production?

I'm also going to go to some of the other recording/engineering forums and dig for info.

Craig

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Seeking recommendations for best music production comput

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:19 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=audio+c ... +computers

There was a time it might have made a difference, not really anymore. Now it's so easy to over-spec for audio, unlike earlier days when components were closer to their limits and really had to be tweaked and many components had compatibility issues, which was one of the things that made a mac worthwhile.

From one site:
Don't waste your time searching for the latest drivers and updates. Let _______ install them for you. Get three free installs then $25 per additional. Large Sound Libraries are $25 per install.
Really?? :?

You are more likely to get some components that are spec'd out cheaper, they're going to save every nickel and dime they can, versus building your own, where you might spend an extra five or ten bucks here and there to get a superior component. That's just business.

I mean if you ran a studio and hired people, does it make a difference whether you paid your own employees or paid someone else to install a large sound library?

If they are buying in bulk, components and software, and passing the savings on to you, why not?? But charging for installs?? Doesn't look like it.

That's my 2 cents
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

CraigR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CraigR » Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:31 am

Thanks for the data. I have no problem building my own PC, as I have done that several times in the past for my HTPC, etc. (Home Theatre PC). My Music PC now is a Dell XPS420 Gaming computer built in 2008 which is still really powerful......but AGEING by now. I routinely buy new HDs every 5 yrs just in case too.

I just don't wanna fuss with matching CPUs with motherboards and thermal paste and proper fans and cases, etc. I definitely WOULD make sure their components are high-end, etc.

And I don't need help installing libraries for God's sake, lol.

Craig

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:10 am

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:45 am

I've heard good things about these folks:
http://pcaudiolabs.com/
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

CraigR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CraigR » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:20 pm

Wow, Vicki, that site fits the bill perfectly. Thanks for the tip! Are you going to the RR?

Craig

TimWalter
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TimWalter » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Craig..
well, maybe I shouldnt say this, but it seems that Apple computers are the default go to for pro studios.. from what I have been told and experienced (and I dont want to get into a p----ssing match with anyone.. if others experience is different, pls say so and you opinion is valid. Its just that the studios I have been in and people I look up to that are further along on this journey seem to be using Macs.)

For $2500 you can get a top speed (except Retina, which you dont need) iMac with maxed out ram (which is what I have) I ordered it with 16gig ram and got additional 16 gig from OWC for about $100.

Thats my take.
Tim

EDIT: I see a very long discussion thread just below this debating the merits of PC vs Mac. Seems to be a lot who believe staying with PC vs switching to Mac is fine. For me personally Id never want to go back to a PC, but thats me YMMV.
Tim Wolf
Nashville

"Nashville-based Romantic Rebel singer-songwriter making alternative songs for those who need a second chance"

www.thetimwolf.com

CraigR
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CraigR » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm

Thanks for the data, Tim. I have definitely researched the differences when I was first getting into hard-disk recording around 6 years ago. Things have gotten a lot better for Windows and Linux users now.

Mac used to be the defacto standard for music and video. Its not so anymore. Look at ProTools. Maybe I'm getting old but I'm used to Windows now and I know how to tweak it to get the most from it.

The pros who are still pros were probably using Mac from the beginning too, so they probably just have stuck with it.

Thanks for your 2 cents. I appreciate it! And good luck with your career!

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:57 am

Craig..
well, maybe I shouldnt say this, but it seems that Apple computers are the default go to for pro studios.. from what I have been told and experienced (and I dont want to get into a p----ssing match with anyone.. if others experience is different, pls say so and you opinion is valid. Its just that the studios I have been in and people I look up to that are further along on this journey seem to be using Macs.)

For $2500 you can get a top speed (except Retina, which you dont need) iMac with maxed out ram (which is what I have) I ordered it with 16gig ram and got additional 16 gig from OWC for about $100.

Thats my take.
Tim
Tim, I think you should say it, it's a great part of the discussion, I think the pissing match days between operating systems are over.

I doubt if there is much disagreement about Apple and Pro Tools being sort of the default computer and daw. Also, maybe more important for a pro studio, a console, such as API, Neve, SSL...

Studios have employees and clientele. A pro studio is different in some respects than a budget home studio. If I had a fleet of trucks, I would buy Peterbilts and Kenworths to retain drivers, but as a one horse owner-operator I would probably use a different make.

Apple and pro tools are better, if you are looking for employees that are already acquainted with those systems, and the schools use them because that's what they use in studios. But other than "I don't know because that's all I've ever used", doesn't imply that other systems are somehow inferior.

It really gets down to, "if budget is no barrier, buy what the pros use, why not?" :D

ochaim
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ochaim » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:02 am

Craig,

You mentioned you have experience building computers. But you're not really willing to go through the hassle of building one this time around?

I guess you have the option of going with a company that will build it for you, if you want specific components to be used. But you will be paying a premium, which I think would be better spent towards something like SSD's especially if you have the skills to build it yourself.

I recently built a new system to replace a 6 year old one that I built myself, it was my first one and had no idea what I was doing but it's lasted me this long and it still runs fine. Matching mobo/cpu/ram is easier than ever now. Sites like http://pcpartpicker.com/ ensure you choose compatible parts.

Which cpu/mobo? I went with the combo that a fellow cubaser user from a cubase facebook group I follow. intel i7 4790k in an asrock z97 extreme6. it'll probably work for any DAW, but if you want to see what other users of your DAW are using it might be worth looking into. the 4790k I've seen recommended very often from my google searches. it's a couple years old so it's pretty good value. with power supply, 2 8bg sticks of ram and windows 10 (mobo has on-board triple monitor support) came up to about $1200 CAD, which is around $900 USD or so. With your $2500 budget you have a lot of room to go with an even more current chipset and still have room for a couple large SSD's.

If you want to go with windows, and you can build a computer yourself, that'd be the way to go IMHO.

Good luck!