Taxi Is a tool, not a shortcut.

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Taxi Is a tool, not a shortcut.

Post by Paulie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:34 pm

This year I’ve chatted with a lot of Taxi members: veterans and new, young and old, experienced musicians and novices. I’ve also had conversations with friends about Taxi and the music biz in general. I’ve reached an analogy that I think helps people understand Taxi a little better, and more important, helps properly set expectations for people considering joining.

To me Taxi is a tool, one of many useful tools out there that writers can use to further their musical aspirations. Like any tool, it is only as useful as the person holding the tool. Give me a lump of clay and I might be able to make a bowl. Give me some putty knives and I will end up making complete mess. Give the same to someone with experience, training and/or natural talent and they can create something useful with their hands alone. But, with the proper tools they can create something even more beautiful.

Creating music of the right quality is the first step. The forums can help people improve, I know I have learned so much here. Getting forwards and learning from returns is also important. Waiting to hear back after a forward can be frustrating as heck, especially as your forward count rises. But this is a game of patience and time. For most members that I’ve interacted with time is measured in quarters or even years, not days or weeks.

Taxi does not promise to make anyone a star. It offers an outstanding network/community to help each member best position themselves for success. And, like families and companies, no organization is perfect. The best thing people can do is recognize that there is a wealth of learning to be found here, and the people you meet here and at the rally can make your musical journey far more enjoyable and fruitful. If I were to list the top three traits needed to succeed here I would say a solid work ethic, persistence and humility.

So, if you are thinking about joining, do it. If you are thinking about leaving, consider why you joined, what your expectations were then, what you’ve learned and what you’ve accomplished. As long as you recognize Taxi as a very useful tool (or even a tool belt full of tools), and not a promise of fame and fortune, you can improve your game and improve your chances to get your music heard and used.

Hope this makes sense…
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Taxi Is a tool, not a shortcut.

Post by hummingbird » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:20 am

+1 Paulie
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website

TerrellBurt
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by TerrellBurt » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:54 pm

Well put, Paul! I echo each of your sentiments.

edmondredd
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edmondredd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:23 am

"The journey, Not the destination matters..."- T.S. Elliot
edmond redd

Image Image Image Image