Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

EPIC, CONTEMPORARY SONGS ... edit 2

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:53 pm

hi ppl! :D

edit 2 as of 161024

This is now The Force From Within edit 1 ... or rather total makeover 1! :shock: :lol:
For anyone interested ... is it any better?

TIA again

New song sound like this:

I wanted to have this one uploaded since it's deadline but there are some rough spots. Can you spot the spots?
I didn't see the listing until late this Friday and I've been busy with other stuff so I have to polish a little afterwards which I promised myself to stop doing haha! :D

Other than that, waddaythink?

https://soundcloud.com/howlingatthesun/ ... in/s-woh3x

Oh, a question: "They offer an EXCLUSIVE deal" means I should not make the song accessible to the world until I know for sure or they might fart in my general direction?
I set the song to private on SoundCloud.
Good or bad?

The song is for this listing:

EPIC, CONTEMPORARY SONGS with lyric themes about (Power, Overcoming Odds, Saving The World, etc.) and Male or Female Vocals are needed for a $25,000 placement by a Music Production Company that’s working directly with the Music Supervisor of a Big Budget Hollywood Feature Film. They’re looking for dynamic, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could be found on a playlist with bands like (but not limited to Imagine Dragons, The Chainsmokers, Young The Giant, Fall Out Boy, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get yourself in the general ballpark of what could work for this pitch:

“Warriors” by Imagine Dragons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3W5ngVTtRE

“Don’t Let Me Down” by The Chainsmokers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0fBr1XBUA

“Something To Believe In” by Young The Giant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ZRWZv14SA

“Immortals” by Fall Out Boy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9PxOanFjxQ

Please submit big, epic-sounding songs with a powerful, anthemic chorus. A compelling, current-sounding vocal performance that would work well in the context of a super hero-type film, combined with heroic lyric themes about power, overcoming or beating the odds, saving the world, etc., could help you nail this placement. What would you hear in a scene when super heroes head into an epic battle? Yep, that’s what they need! Universal lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, and places will make your songs more appealing, but they’re not absolutely necessary. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced acts or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, texture, and vibe. Broadcast quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine).

The estimated license fee for this is $25,000. They offer an EXCLUSIVE deal. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. They’ll get 100% of the Publisher’s share, and you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share. You must own or control your Master and Copyright. Since this is an EXCLUSIVE deal, please be sure the material you submit for this pitch is NOT already signed with any other Libraries or Catalogs. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis - No full critiques. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Monday, October 17th, 2016. TAXI #U161017ES
Last edited by HowlingUlf on Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SteveC
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: EPIC, CONTEMPORARY SONGS TAXI #U161017ES

Post by SteveC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:47 pm

hi

check your link, nothing there.

st

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:42 pm

SteveC wrote:hi

check your link, nothing there.

st
Ooops! Sorry about that!
Setting the song to "private" made it ... private?!!? How could that be possible? :o :lol:
So that's NOT the way to do it?
I thought that if you had a direct link you could hear the song but that's apparently not it.

I changed it so now it should work?
Thanks, Steve!

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 pm

I think I've figured it out now with "private" and "secret" and whatnot.
I changed the link in the first post with some extra characters I got from SoundCloud so now it should work ... if you're logged in at SoundCloud?

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 pm

It's an interesting piece that fits in with the alas. I listened through laptop speakers and the headphones and liked it more through the speakers.
The first listen was with headphones and I felt the vocal doubling and delays were distracting. There was quite a bit of business in the mix in general and maybe the filter of the speakers points to the low mids taking the blame.
My personal preference would be for more sustained power chords.
HTH

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:23 pm

lesmac wrote:HTH
Yeah, it does! Nail on the head, I'm afraid haha.
I've listened to a few other speakers and now all I hear sounds ... different.
There are a lot of things that need to be stretched out in that song.

Maybe you're right about the power chords.

I wish I had a little more time for this one hehe ...

Thanks for listening and confirming some suspicions! 8-)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:10 am

I think there may be a decent song in there somewhere but I have quite a few reservations overall

On the intro the drums were totally drowning out the guitar..mix balance all wrong

The guitar's / bass /drums feel quite sloppy timing wise

The overall mix is rather muddy

My main gripe is the vocals, they sound very strange to me ..I couldn't really make out the lyrics and the doubling effect doesn't help I don't think.

Sorry to sound so negative but I think it's a long way off hitting the target of the reference tracks right now.

Mark

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by HowlingUlf » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:35 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:I think there may be a decent song in there somewhere but I have quite a few reservations overall

On the intro the drums were totally drowning out the guitar..mix balance all wrong

The guitar's / bass /drums feel quite sloppy timing wise

The overall mix is rather muddy

My main gripe is the vocals, they sound very strange to me ..I couldn't really make out the lyrics and the doubling effect doesn't help I don't think.

Sorry to sound so negative but I think it's a long way off hitting the target of the reference tracks right now.

Mark
you're right! Absolutely!
I just wanted the song submitted before the deadline, that's all!
The guitars are still there from the first sketch, I just realized kind of.
Not the song structure and basic tracks but most of the rest of the tracks are in the process of a total makeover ASAP so stop listening hehe! :oops:
I should maybe have called it work-in-progress in the opening post?

It's all my fault because I thought and still think the idea is kind of un-bad so I uploaded it at any cost.
Sorry about that haha!

Thanks for listening and your honesty! 8-)

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: EPIC, CONTEMPORARY SONGS ... edit 1

Post by HowlingUlf » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:42 pm

did some edits.
more info in the OP.
same link, same same but different ...

new vocals altogether
new rhythm guitars
changed "non kit drums"
edited the string section
remixed of course
ummm ...
drums and bass are about all that's the same ... + the piano

any better?

TIA

HowlingUlf
Impressive
Impressive

Re: EPIC, CONTEMPORARY SONGS ... edit 2

Post by HowlingUlf » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:37 pm

added a new intro and fixed the mix somewhat.
any better? :)